Existing Member?

Romodessey

Fair Verona

ITALY | Monday, 15 September 2008 | Views [803]

To fair Verona where we lay our scene


I arrived in Verona on a very hot evening (it's still around 30 C here even though it's Autumn v soon) and managed the right bus and the right stop for the hostel but after that managed to get lost several times (i always seem to get lost when i'm carrying all my luggage and it's a hot day! As i am woefully lacking in Italian this was a terrifying experience but thanks to a very helpful guy (who could speak some English) and lady (who spoke no english) i made it to my accommodation (stayed at Uni halls – the students are still on holiday for a couple of weeks).

The guy on reception was very nice and only slightly sleazy (though he did get in quite early with offering me wine and was very touchy-feely... i get the feeling that's just an Italian guy thing). Didn't get round to a whole lot except turning on my air-con, showering and getting some sleep.


The next day i got up, grabbed the crappy free map at reception and self-guided (to the best of me and my crappy map's abilities) myself around Verona...on foot and in 30 degree sunshine.

I am proud of myself for surviving the day and i have accumulated an impressive enough hoard of pics and can check off of most of the sights (it's a lot easier when it's Monday and most of them aren't open).

Verona is a gorgeous, very walkable, charismatically Italian city so it actually made it easy for me. The streets, alleyways and all the roman remains (theatre and arena) give it a really romantic ambiance. Add to that the fact that Shakepeare's Romeo and Juliet is set here.

You can visit Juliet's house, complete with balcony, a museum, a lover's wall (people have sticky plastered the names of them and their partners and/or graffitied them to the walls of the courtyard archway....awwhhh), and tacky souvenir shops. Romeo's house is a little more boring – just a plaque on the wall, and there is a trendy bar on the ground floor (amazingly enough not called Romeo's or anything remotely tacky). I actually missed it the first time i went past (judging by the confusion on the faces of other tourists in the area, i wasn't the only one).


Overall – i was pleasantly surprised by Verona. I think it was a great start to the Italian leg of my trip and would definately recommend it.

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.