Existing Member?

Rea View Searching for warmth and calm

Yangshuo - Land of Karst

CHINA | Monday, 12 November 2007 | Views [751] | Comments [10]

Ni Hao!  Egads, there's just a wee bit of a language barrier here...but we've got the skills to fill our bellies at least!  We've developed a fondness for clay pots stuffed with rice that you pick all the stir fry toppings for.  They give you a little plate and a spread of ingredients before you...then they add enough of what they see on your little plate to make it a BIG meal!  $1.50 Canadian ..... oooh, gotta like cheap eats.  Beer is 30 cents a can off the shelf ..... perfect.
 
We've navigated our way by bus (3 1/2 hrs) through border crossings to Guangzhou city then train (13 hrs) plus bus (2 hrs) to Yangshuo.  We had the top bunks on the train and it was pretty comfortable, so we booked the train for Kunming leaving Wednesday at 4pm.  That one is 18hrs so we booked lower bunks for easier access down the corridors.  It's looking cold in Kunming so we'll be assessing the "northern" stretch to Lijiang and Zhongdian, as cold is not a word we wish to be uttering this holiday... : )  : )
 
All is well though, we're happily riding bicycles through the countryside and cruising the river through surreal landscapes. 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sitting here at my desk, at work reading your entries with a heavy heart. Heavy with a desire for T and I to be there with you, but filled with excitment and joy that you two young love birds are out trotting the globe together. The latter is much stronger, and I am sitting here (at my desk, at work) just smiling from ear to ear for you two!!!!
Mwah, Mwah, love you!
~Karina

  Karina Nov 13, 2007 2:21 AM

2

Hey you crazy kids......
Way to go! Looking forward to lots and lots of photos!!
Kelli

  Kelli Nov 13, 2007 3:08 AM

3

What a great way to journal & tell all. Love it! I too wish I were there but reading these will allow me to drift off to faraway lands... and get paid for it :-)
Be safe and experience much!

  Jim Nov 13, 2007 4:01 AM

4

Great to hear from you and glad to hear you are actively embarking on many adventures. Wish Adrian and I were there but through your updates we are able to experience some small part of it.

Any plans to be home around New Years or are you going to celebrate on the road?

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Tracy

  Tracy Nov 13, 2007 4:28 AM

5

Ni Hao
Zui Jin Zen Me Yang? ( How have you been?) I'm glad to see that you did indeed get away. I'll be following your travels with interest since you are going to places I missed. China! Way to start big.
Have fun.
Zhu ni zou yun ( Best of luck to you)
Man zou ( Take care)
Allison

  allison_gilbert Nov 13, 2007 6:35 AM

6

If I could find any Chinese characters on my keyboard I'd write you something . . . . Oh well, best you do your homework first.

Look forward to your travel log. Hugs from us

Ry and Jen

  Ryan and Jennifer Nov 14, 2007 3:11 AM

7

You crazy bike riders.... It's probably safer there than here! I'm getting ready for my Aussie trip, so Ellen will be looking forward to reading of your exploits. Maybe you can do some skiing in China so you don't miss home!
Take care...
Jeff.

  Jeff Nov 14, 2007 5:52 AM

8

You guys look great & healthy in your Hong Kong photos!!! It'll be interesting to compare in 4 months!!
Love hearing from you ....keep it coming.....more details please! Keep safe. Have fun on the 18hour train ride!
K & R

  Renee & Kevan Nov 15, 2007 5:09 AM

9

Great to read about your adventures and see the pics. That is one big Buddha. We are watching Survivor China on tv and thinking of you guys. Last reward was a cruise down the Li River. Looks awesome.
Happy travels.
ellen :)

  Ellen Q Nov 19, 2007 6:02 AM

10

Okay...the jig is up. You're not in China, you're in Edmonton. I don't know if Edmonton has a Chinatown or not but you've played this game for long enough. Now come home!

  Don Nov 20, 2007 3:24 AM

About roaming_reas


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.