Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Open Water

MEXICO | Saturday, 9 May 2009 | Views [603]

We get up early to move to a new hotel and prepare for our dive. We've got four more days in Mexico which gives us plenty of time to complete the last two dives of our SCUBA course, and then chill out before we leave.

I'm a bit anxious when we get to the dive shop and find that we're going out to do a drift dive. Because the current is so strong, we'll be drifting with it while we're underwater. This is a pretty challenging dive and not normally recommended for trainee divers. But our dive master assures us it'll be fine... We get on the boat with 5 other people who are experience divers, two of which are Americans and they give us lots of encouragement.

When we jump in the water and things start to go pear shaped. Everyone's descending further and further down into the ocean and when I start to have trouble with my ears. I can't equalize! I sign to the instructor that I'm having problems and he motions that I should keep trying to pop my ears. Then he descends with the rest of the divers.

So I'm alone at 11meters under the sea, while the group is down at about 30m. Because the current is stronger at the surface, I begin drifting away from the group. Now I'm alone in the middle of the ocean, unsure of what to do. Rich, my diving partner, my partner who is never supposed to leave me, is busy looking at turtles at the bottom of the sea and doesn't even realize I'm not around. Hmmm I guess all that safety talk didn't stick in his head. The dive master finally realizes that I'm not gonna make it to the bottom and send up a balloon to alert the boat. I have no choice but to head back to the surface. I get stuck on the rocking boat for the next 40 mins. Rubbish!

Rich comes up looking triumphant on completing the dive with the rest of the party, and he is apologetic when I explain that he wasn't supposed to leave me alone to get eaten by sharks.

The water's pretty rough and the American woman from the dive party isn't feeling too well, so we return to shore to drop the two of us off before everyone else heads back out for their second dive. And apart from a minor equipment malfunction, this one goes well and Rich is now a fully certified diver. Finally! Unfortunately, I will have to wait...

Scuba course

Scuba course

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.