Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Beach to ourselves

COSTA RICA | Monday, 13 April 2009 | Views [616]

Let's go to the beach. Caribbean or Pacific? Caribbean or Pacific? Errr...Caribbean. There are two places we want to see. One is Cahuita - the first main settling spot for Afro-Caribbeans in Costa Rica, and the other is Puerto Viejo.

They're close to one another and after seeing both we choose Puerto Viejo for our stay. And what a good choice it is. A great little town with four different beaches along a 10-mile stretch (don't quote me on the distance).

The beaches are all beautiful white-sand (except for the one with black sand - imaginitively named Playa Negra) and the water is warm and clear. We find some nice, cheap, clean, rooms run by a plump German woman who appears very pleased for the business. Easter week is over and we're now in Low Season. No-one told the weather though and we spend three days on the secluded beaches with Alicia seeking shade, and me trying in vain to get a tan.

Our restaurant pick for Puerto Viejo is definitely a breakfast place called Bread & Chocolate. It's on the expensive side (for us) but they know what they're doing.

puerto viejo beach

puerto viejo beach

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.