Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Lima: It's not so bad...

PERU | Monday, 16 March 2009 | Views [314]

Lima is supposed to be pretty horrible. But it's NOT TRUE. A lot of the information we found basically tells you to fly in and get out quick. But we stay in an area of the city called Miraflores and it's well looked after, with lots of restaurants and tourists. They even have a mall built into the side of the cliffs that overlook the beaches - now that's pretty cool.

A short cab ride away is the historic centre, where we visit convents, cathedrals, and town squares. Under the San Francisco cathedral there are catacombs that acted as the first catholic cemetery in Lima - and supposedly the final resting place of 70,000 people. They still have a whole load of bones and skulls to prove it! We saw them!

After 2 days in Lima, we decide to head out and explore the rest of the country. We have three weeks which is plenty of time to do the aptly-named Gringo Route. This journey makes a circle around the middle and southern parts of Peru. So we hop on a 8am bus and 4 hours later, end in a little town called Ica.
Lima cop

Lima cop

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.