Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Cape Town - Pleasure on the Palette

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 30 December 2008 | Views [748]

We've heard that the approach to Cape Town is a sight to be seen because you get an amazing first glimpse of Table Mountain. Unfortuntatley for us, it's cloudy and raining as we enter the city. No mountains to be seen! We've got almost three weeks in Cape Town though so I'm sure we'll get a look at some point.

After we settle into our hostel we get in contact with Bevan (our friend from Durban) as he is in Cape Town visiting his girlfriend, Ondine. We quickly organise a wine tasting tour in the Stellenbosch region as it seems high on everyone's agenda! We set off first thing in the morning with Rich in the driver's seat (someone drew the short straw!)

It's 10am when we hit the first wine farm, so we ease our way into the wine tasting, starting by sampling 5 different wines (1 sample=half a glass). We visit five or six wineries and taste a fantastic combination of red, white, and desert wines as well as some great cheeses. The weather is perfect and we even manage to fit in a picnic before the wine, food and sun take their toll. We head back into town, with the bottles of our favorite samples in tow.

Later that evening, the two of us meet up with David (one of Rich's parents' friends) and his fiance Bev for dinner by Cape Town's Waterfront. Despite being a bit weary from the day's activities, the meal is lovely and David and Bev are able to give some good advice on how to spend the remainder of our time in Cape Town.

Rich, Bevan & Ondine (the wine experts)

Rich, Bevan & Ondine (the wine experts)

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.