Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Christmas in Jeffreys Bay

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 26 December 2008 | Views [813]

We arrive in Jeffreys Bay in high spirits, looking forward to a Christmas by the beach. Jeffreys Bay (a lot like St Lucia) is a tourist hot spot for South Africans so accomodation is scarce. Luckily for us though, we have booked ahead and despite the huge amount of traffic we have to endure on the approach into town, we make it safely to our backpackers place.

This time we share a flat with another couple. It's the first time we've done this and it works really well. We share the living room, dining area and kitchen but we have our own bedroom and bathroom. And the bedroom comes with a sea view, so you can see the surfers riding the ridiculously big waves.

Christmas Day is very festive. Ok there's no tree, no carols, no eggnog or snow, but we did have lots of sunshine and sand. We go down to the beach (mainly just so we can say we were on the beach at Christmas!), I cook a stir-fry, we drink a bottle of wine, watch a movie and we speak to our parents on Skype. Merry Christmas!

The coolest thing we do in Jeffreys Bay is learn to Sandboard. It's just like Snowboarding but with the obvious difference. I pick it up very quickly (and by that he means he learned to fall on his ass more so than his face) but poor old Alicia is unsurprisingly not such a natural. (I may not be a natural but I was a quick learner, I think I'm ready to go pro now)

Christmas Day on the beach

Christmas Day on the beach

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.