Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Wild Coast - Road Kill and the Hole in the Wall

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 22 December 2008 | Views [464]

The Coffee Bay hostel is still unavailable, but we're able to get a room in the The Hole in the Wall hotel, which is 8.2km away. So we drive there on a small winding road. The scenery is amazing, but the animals are annoying. We were warned about this stretch of road. We were told that we will see many dead animails, from dogs to horses, sheep to cows and everything in between. The reason for this excessive road kill is there are no fences to keep the animals confined. Although Rich drives like a maniac, we were lucky enough not to add to the tally. But we did have a few close calls! Poor dog.

We finally reach the Hole in the Wall and when we walk to the beach, we discover why its called Hole in the Wall. There is literally a hole in the wall of a mountain. It was made by years of water crashing into it and its a natural phenomenom. But that's all there is to say about this place. If you like seeing holes in walls, this is the place to visit. As for us, we aren't easily impressed, so we hop in the car and head on further down the coast. (careful to avoid the cows)

Mind the horse!

Mind the horse!

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.