Existing Member?

travelling with laughter

I was almost road kill!

THAILAND | Sunday, 25 May 2008 | Views [1017] | Comments [2]

Learning my lesson from mopeds i decided i would stay a pedestrian, little did i know that that could be just as lethal. I found this out as one ploughed into the back of me! It seems that you do actually have to have eyes in the back of your head!

Stevie and i left for Koh Tao, on the east coast of thailand, sadly saying farewell to Caroline, not forever though as we declared that sometime in the future we will meet up again for a banquet of cheese and wine in a restaurent in Paris. Arriving by Ferry stevie and i instantly loved the place, a winding dirt path lead you through wooden bungalows and restaurants set inches off the beach. The beach was quiet, the sea calm and warm, proper cheese (as opposed to the plastic cheese that i have been dining on) Mozzarella and pesto were in abundance and if you didnt feel like dancing the night away you could seek solace in a movie or two.

 It wasn't just Stevie and i for very long as Stevie was reunited with her travelling buddy Rollie, a blonde haired German with a penchant for silly games. Through him we met Tara and aussie beaut who would make you smile in an instant and want to steal all her jewellry and Andy a fellow Brit bursting with enthusiasm and grins. The group soon expanded with friends and it was unusual to ever find yourself alone.

 Setting the scene, i am sure you are wondering how i managed to get run over.....was i bladdered?...no, was i walking in the middle of the road?....no! After having a few beers and topping it off with a midnight swim Andy offered to walk me home. The path back to my bungalow was dark and a little bit nerve wracking by yourself so i was glad of the company. The path is flat for most of the way until the last part where there is a small but steep sandy hill, mopeds need to speed up this or there is no chance that you can reach the top. Reaching the hill i was walking on the far left, Andy on the right. Now it all happened in a split second, one minute i was standing and the next second i was looking at the stars, i heard Andy say something to me (though i didn't have chance to catch it all)...i later learned that he was telling me to come to his side of the road, then i heard a girl shout and 'Bang'! I found myself lying on the floor after smacking the back of my head on the concrete, imagine the sound that a coconut makes as it falls from the trees...well that's the sound that my head made! They had literally managed to ride into the back of me! Now what the hell are the chances of that happening? I got up stunned, with a sore head but no other injuries thankfully (the bruises came up later).

 The scene that i stood up to was a guy (the driver) lying on the floor passed out, his girlfriend vigorously slapping him and Andy in absolute fury clapping and shouting, "well done you fucking idiot" !!! These words were the last thing he heard before passing out...It was a nightmare. Andy turned off the bikes engine and righted the bike, the guy came round, after a thorough patting down it seemed that everyone was okay. Standing at the side of the road, the reason became clear how this had happened. Nick (driver) and Michelle 'the perpetraors' were totally drunk. Standing there Michelle was swaying from spot to spot, unaware that a trickle of blood form a graze was running down her leg...i had to tell her several times before she understood what i was going on about. How they had managed to even sit on the bike let alone ride it i have no idea!

 Andy then rode the bike up the hill for them, i would have hated to have another re-run! I helped Nick up and we all went up the top and sat down, numbers exchanged, just in case it turned out that i had concussion. They apologised profusely, which i was grateful for but it started to grate on me, i was still shaking and just wanted to get back and go to bed. It was the most random chance accident, i still can't believe it! The last thing i expected was to be actually ridden into, it could have been alot worse, i could have actually been road kill. However i am fine, no repercussions, so i am putting it down as an experience, an unusual story to tell!

 Later in conversations i would be introduced as....."you know that girl i was telling you about that got hit by a bike..., well this is her".....

I would complete it with, "hi, i am Reb"!!!!!

 

Comments

1

Death by: bike
Hmmmmm...we can add that to the list to go along with the others: goat, rock slide, laughing, choking while laughing, etc.

  whereintheworld Aug 15, 2008 5:20 AM

2

oh i forgot to add diahorrea :)

  whereintheworld Aug 15, 2008 5:20 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.