Existing Member?

travelling with laughter

In Lhasa and loving it!

CHINA | Saturday, 6 October 2007 | Views [591]

So i have actually done some exploring though at a snails pace...all to do with the altitude!-i wonder how long i can keep this excuse up for!


We (Ant,Andrew and i ) went to Sera Monastry to go and see a monks debate, its supposed to be quite awesome to see even if you cant understand what they are saying. We got there and found out that it wasnt on...the one day that we had to choose..oh well! We spent the day walking around and it was beautiful and very peaceful, we walked through one temple and came across a monk chanting and people lowering their heads into a cavern beneath a statue. The monk in his best english pointed at the statue and said 'horse', i knodded, well what else can you do? I then lowered my head into the cavern and as i rose back up he put his hand on my head, i thought it was so that i wouldnt bash my head but little did i know. The friendly faced monk then put a white prayer scarf around my neck, dipped his finger in a pot and drew a black line down my nose. He then said 'blessed'. I truly did feel blessed it was a magical moment for me.

The next day we visited the magnificant Potala Palace white washed walls and burnt red walls set high on a hill, with just a 'few' steps to the top! Walking there we passed people praying around the Palace, i soon learnt they were doing the kora around it. It was an amazing sight to see, they lay down sweeping their arms around their heads and come up and do it all again. You can hear the swooshing sweeping noise of the wooden blocks on their hands. The dedication is unbelievable, people will travel for miles doing this the whole way, people of all ages, the old and the very young. The Palace was amazing, after huffing and puffing up the steps i followed the set path, trying to take in all the colours, smells and the peaceful feeling of the chapels. Afterwards we spent the day walking around the city, found ourselves sitting in the square , here Ant was approached by a brave little girl offering him some sunflower seeds, he accepted and it was very touching to watch. We took some pictures and they absolutely loved to see themselves on the camers screen and then proceeded to pose for us with screeches of joy! We also saw the meanest man ever.......a sly tibetian man hiding under his hat under the shade of a tree with a catapult in his hand. We watched him and low and behold he was trying to hit the unaware tourists....once he caught sight of us he stopped. We tried to sneak up behind him to snatch it off him and snap it into pieces but he had changed location, so he is still at large! what a mean mean man!

Ok so i am going to try and keep this short as my niece Ella says 'they are too long auntie Reb, cant you just send one sentence at a time!'. So this is the best i can do.........

but before i sign out completely something to make you smile......try and picture it....
...One of the great things about being in a place where i am not understood is being able to listen to my music whilst walking down the street, singing along out loud! I love it! yes i do get stared at but i do anyway, why not!

Tags: people, tibet

 
 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.