Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Anzac Cove

TURKEY | Thursday, 10 September 2015 | Views [249] | Comments [3]

Picked up at 6.30am for our drive to the Gallipoli Peninsula we packed our breakfast bag into the backpack and we were off. A short delay while we went back for a couple who had been left behind ( Terry and Patricia )and off loaded a couple who had got on the wrong tour bus. The morning is overcast but will get to 27 degrees. The roads are heavy with traffic until we leave the city and surrounds. We stopped for breakfast at a fuel stop cafe and were treated to a breakfast of fetta, cheese, olives, cucumber, boiled egg and some bread along with some Turkish tea.
The trip to Gallipoli is about 4 hours by road and there are 10 of us on the  mini bus. Our first stop was the Kabatepe War Museum. It was very interesting as it was interactive with parts in a 3D show.
 Anzac Cove was next and it was quite special as the guide gave us a rundown of the events leading to this landing and the subsequent battles to the withdrawl. When you are looking at the heavily stoned beach and the blue lapping water of the Dardenelles you can't quite imagine the horror that must confronted the Diggers as they landed, until you turn around and take in the cliffs and terrain that they faced. It is very peaceful now with trees and undergrowth replacing what must have been a barren place.
Lone Pine sitting on the top of a ridge provided a reality check as you gazed down toward the water and imagined the Turkish Soldiers looking down on the invading army. This is another   very moving place to visit. The whole area isn't very big and to imagine the mayhem that was unfolding and the deaths from both sides is almost unbelievable. As we were drinking in the atmosphere and reflecting the peace was broken by 6 fighter jets appeared from nowhere and scream over us and gone within moments. Maybe organized by our tour operator for atmospher but probably due to the conflict on the Syrian border.
The Nek provided more of an idea of the small area that was being fought in for so many deaths once again from both sides.
Chunuk Bair was the New Zealand Cemetery that we visited and once again provided insight into the rugged terrain that surrounded this conflict.
The Turkish Cemetery also provided insight into the plight of the Turkish Soldiers and the patriotism that abound within the troops
Bus to Canakkale via a ferry across the Dardanelles to our hotel. Canakkale is a vibrant city on the water with boats in and out. People eat late and at 10 pm when we were finished and heading back to our rooms the waterfront was still busy.
Picked up at 6.30am in Istanbul arrived in Canakkale at 8pm. Busy day but well worth it. With full bellies, swollen ankles and tired eyes we fell into bed .

Comments

1

Another great blog peter

  Wendy Sep 12, 2015 9:59 AM

2

Great description Pete.

  Sonia Sep 12, 2015 3:31 PM

3

Beautifully written Peter

  Kerry Sep 12, 2015 3:33 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.