Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Hvar. Croatia

CROATIA | Tuesday, 25 September 2012 | Views [190]

All packed after a better nights sleep. Either we got used to the drunk Croatian men under our window or they left early. 11 am for Catamaran trip to Hvar. This is one big boat as it held about 300 people and luggage. Leaving Split we looked back and it was a picture with its Mountain backdrop, old buildings, large liners and boats on blue water. The trip took about 1.5 hours and we cruised into Hvar Harbour. It is a haven for yachties and lots of them were docked and looking for berths with the Port Authority guy going up and down the dock on a Segway turning them away to deeper water. Boy was there a few unhappy skippers! They were only letting Catamarans or small boats moor at dock due to stability of masts if the weather turned and they started to bang into one another. I digress. Our Travel Organizer, who is as useful as a holey bucket, gave us the wrong address. We jumped in a cab and up into the hillside we went. Hang on a minute, this accom is supposed to be near the harbour with a seaview. After beating the mountain goats to the top we found our accomodation thanks to the Cabbie who recognized the name of the owner! The accomodation is sparse but comfortable, and we did walk down to the harbour and back again with supplies after looking around. But! it is really a yachties stop over and  although very pretty it does not warrant a two night stay in my opinion or three days in our case as the travel agent had not worked the transfers properly. The ferries only leave of an evening to Korcula. If you visit Hvar make sure you get accomodation at the harbour as it is mountainous anywhere else. So we bit the bullet, bought a ticket out of here on tomorrow afternoons ferry for Korcula and we will leave a day early than planned. We are looking on the bright side but so far any downside we have encountered has been when we let the Travel Agent suggest and book for us. Mmmmm she has booked Korcula for us too! It is frustrating as we used a Specialist Croation Travel agent for this leg to make sure ferry connections and locations were going to work for us but we have ended up doing a lot of adjustments ourselves.

   Hvar Day 2

As predicted by Segway guy yesterday it blew for most of the night and I wonder how the yachties he turned away fared. Still gusty this morning but a sunny day predicted. All packed we took a walk to the swimming area at the bottom of our mountain before going to the ferry for the trip to Korcula later this afternoon. The walk was very nice as we skirted the bottom of the mountain and wandered along the foreshore. People swimming, walking and sunbathing in the warm sunshine. No sand , just rock and pebbles to sit or lie on with a guy selling  Sun Bed spots along the shoreline. Aparently there are sea urchins along the Coast and many swimmers wore boat shoes into swim.

 

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.