Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

I was so wrong

JAPAN | Friday, 24 April 2009 | Views [241] | Comments [1]

It must have been the jelly. I was up at 5am on the toilet feeling awful. But there's just jelly crystals, tinned fruit and boiled water in it. I guess the water wasn't boiled for 20 minutes so it may have been contaminated. The change in seasons has seen a lot of rain lately, probably washing a lot of stuff into the water supply. I have no idea how the water is piped to my house, or what kind of filtration is involved. I think I'll just try and avoid using the tap water for anything.

The only other possible option as far as making me sick goes is a bag of banana lollies from Thailand that Brooke gave me as a present. I hope it wasn't those because I gave some to a few other teachers last night, they seem to be ok but probably wouldn't tell anyone if they had the runs last night.

My only choice to be sure is to selectively test myself with suspiscious substances. So in a few days when I've gotten over it I may try the Thai lollies again and see what happens. But I assume having a high sugar content (sugar is an excellent preservative) is probably an indication that they are fairly safe.

Next wednesday is a public holiday, and on Tuesday there's another enkai for the PTA. Seems like these things never stop, I have no viable excuse so I will have to go.

I have no useful or interesting things to say, just that. Have a good weekend.


P.S. I got an email this afternoon confirming I was selected to be on the committee organising the orientation for new JET participants coming to Gunma. I sent my application before I'd decided not to continue in Japan, so I had to reply straight away and decline to be involved since I won't be re-contracting after all. Pity, it would have been interesting. I've also applied to be a speaker at the big orientation in Tokyo, I'll have to turn that down too if I get selected.

Comments

1

Hi Pete,
Truly amazing flowers. Sorry you've not been well, that's not good. Max will be excited to get your present. The renovations are coming along well. Looking forward to you seeing the end result.
Take care, lots of love Mum X

  Mum Apr 25, 2009 11:02 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.