Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

After Amanuma

JAPAN | Thursday, 16 April 2009 | Views [498]

I am feeling really poorly today. I went to dinner with a few ALTs lat night and ate way too much, I have to remember that I can't keep up with an American appetite. I felt terrible this morning, was almost late to work. It's a bit better now (4 hours after I woke up) but once I have to get up and walk upstairs for class in another 45 minutes it might hit again.

I think I was possibly trying to eat my way happy. I've been a bit down and have decided another year in Japan isn't likely to happen. It's not Japan as such, more the thought of doing the whole school year again, it's no longer a refreshing change, now it's just a repetitive job with not much opportunity.

That's not to say I'll be heading back to work in Australia straight away. My plan at the moment is to spend a lot of time traveling in the second half of the year, hopefully to some big festivals if 'Flip' is accepted. The early success has gotten me feeling optomistic about at least getting some more screenings in Sept. Oct. Nov.

I think it's high time I focused on doing something a bit more serious with the whole filmmaking enterprise, and this could be an opportunity to leverage into some funding.

I am hoping to use most of the remaining annual leave days to go to Palm Springs in June, haven't heard whether the school will let me yet. I asked the principal on Tuesday, but I was away all yesterday at my new elementary school (Amanuma) and no-one has offered any info today. The priincipal was going to check with my English teacher, I got the impression she may have been unhappy when i took a day off in March. In any case I don't know the outcome yet, but I have to find out and confirm flights and let the festival know if I'm attending. Today is the deadline for festival responses, but I assume that's likely to be flexible if they really want the film. No point testing the theory I guess.

Amanuma, the new elementary school I visit on Wednesdays, has well over 600 students. Significantly more than the less than 80 at Kurohone. I have six classes on Wednesdays, which is the busiest I've ever been here. There are only six classes a day so it clearly means I'm busy all day. I have to eat lunch with a different class each time, so lunch is effectively work time as well.

Still it was nice to get out and see a new school, there were a few naughtier kids than I'm used to, but not too bad so far. One kid was being the clown so I made him my new friend and got him out the front to help me with demonstrating greetings. He still made comments during the class but I tried to pick on him (in a friendly way) when I needed a partner for speaking practice, it seemed to keep him slightly less disruptive than he may otherwise have been.

During recess I was 'forced' to play chasings (or tag or tiggy or whatever the latest name is) and found myself extremely out of shape, but still able to outrun an 11 year old over short distances in my motorcycle boots.

Sometimes it's nice to demonstrate superiority over small children.

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.