Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Looks like I spoke too soon

JAPAN | Friday, 20 February 2009 | Views [278]

So after a few warm days we have had a return to the cold, today I woke to the heaviest snowfall so far.

I heard something outside at around 5.45 AM and went to see what it was. Turns out it was snow falling off my roof.

I put on my winter bike pants and a rain coat and went out with my camera, so from 6 to 6:45 I took photos and built a snowman.

I had been planning to ride my bike to ALT day at another school, about 45 minutes drive away, so I hadn't bothered to cover it last night. You can see the results. Since it was snowy and starting to rain I took the car instead.

This was the first day where it snowed right in Kiryu city as well, usually it snows up in the mountains but the Kiryu city centre is just drizzle. This time there was snow all over, albeit a lot less than Kurohone.

So we went to ALT day at Hirosawa JHS. It was a great day, especially the second class (we only had 2). They really got into the board game that Jon (their usual ALT) had created. It was a lot of fun and afterward the teacher said she was amazed that these kids who normally couldn't be bothered were really having fun and enjoying the activities.

So now I'm back in time for lunch, but I'll probably be going into Kiryu again to meet the supervisor, since I'll be missing the meeting on Monday. Chalisa and her brother are coming from Thailand on Saturday afternoon, so I'm taking Monday off work to spend a couple of days with them.

I may have upset some people by doing this. I arranged it with the ALT supervisor in the city office last month, but he didn't tell the school. I seem to have mistakenly assumed that when I asked for permission from him he would check with the school and confirm things. But I don't think that happens at all, so I left a note for the vice principal 2 days ago confirming the arrangement, he just mentioned it today.

The other teachers didn't seem as cheerful when I got back today either. My English teacher didn't say hello when she came past my desk, so maybe I've upset them.

Oh well.

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.