Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Grandma

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 13 March 2008 | Views [417] | Comments [2]

My Grandma died yesterday. I found out via text message. Not the best way to find out someone you love has died. I don't blame mum and dad, but distance sucks. I never felt so far away from everyone i loved as i did then. I think i have not been properly homesick untill then . I think i just wanted my mum. Distance does not make the heart grow fonder, i think it can break it.

I rang Laura (not wanting to wake mum and dad- damn time difference) and was all miserable at her. She took it pretty well and was quire understanding considering it was like 4am there. She didn't get much sleep last night...neither did i.

When i finally thought it was a decent time i rang mum and we were miserable at each other. I think it made me feel better. Misery loves company.

So, as a sort of therapy for myself so i can vent all my sadness on the known, and unknown masses, i have decided to compile a bit of list. These are the things i will miss most, and remember most fondly, about my Grandma Hilda George

1. The way she cooked peas. I loved the way she boiled the shit out of peas for ages so that by the time you ate them they were squeezy balls of mush. Mum has never been able to replicate that.

2. The way she always used to take at least three or four tries to get my name right. She did this for as long as i could remember. She used to call me LolaDoreenSharonNadia.

3. The way she never used to get angry at me when i would come back from the orchard bright purple from being up the mulberry tree.

4. The way she used to call the cats when it was time to feed them. Kitty Kitty Kitty Kitty.

5. The temperence lectures she used to give me on the dangers of alcohol and how terrible it was.

6. The fact that she always had jelly in her fridge. Usually orange.

7. The way she comforted me when the sheep bit me. All sheep are bastards- especially the one that used to try to butt her in the bum when she was trying to hang out the washing.

8. The way she used to whinge about Grandfather just putting his dinner plate back in the fridge rather than washing it up.

9. The time she let me cut her hair when i wanted to be a hairdresser. And didn't complain after i did cut it pretty badly.

10. The way she used to tell me "Don't play with the fire you'll wet the bed!"

11. The fact that there was always icecream in her freezer.

12. When she used to let me borrow her motor scooter thing sometimes and i would chase the sheep.

13. The interesting names she used to think up for various animals. Steppy the sheep. 

14. The way she made me feel safe.

I feel a little better already. But i'll miss you Grandma.

Tags: sadness

Comments

1

What a timely time to finally find the email you sent me and check-out your typings of the past few months.
Hug and kisses to you and Grandma and your family.

Good to see some happier times on here too hun.

Found any nice pink dresses yet?

  jo-jo Mar 19, 2008 8:52 PM

2

I'm so sorry to here Nadia. I'm sorry I didn't read this earlier.

  chereeday Mar 25, 2008 9:35 PM

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.