Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Beware Trolls!

NORWAY | Tuesday, 29 July 2008 | Views [902]

An early morning that was definitely worth it. Today would have to have been my favourite day of the trip. After the early start we went for a drive up the craziest road on earth. The trolls pass. Home of the famous troll’s bridge made famous by the three Billy goats gruff. It had 11 turns back on itself straight up the mountain. I don’t know how the hell steveo our bus driver got us up there so easily but he was brilliant. Apparently it is such a bad ass road that constantly gets cut that it was only opened a few days previous to us arriving. Thanks god (or other supernatural being) because it really was one of those once in a lifetime things. Unless I go back of course!

 

At the top we stopped for a bit to look down at the crazy road and off the top of a waterfall. Here the snow was about a foot deep. As we drove on our way to Geiranjer Fjord the snow got deeper. In some places it was higher than the top of the bus on both sides. And this was in late may! I can’t even fathom what it’s like in the winter – closed I guess.

 

After an amazing drive, and one ferry, we reached the most fantastic place ever. Geiranjer Fjord. From high above it was awe inspiring – we all saw it and went AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! I think I may have taken a ridiculous amount of photos. None of them of course did it justice.

 

We headed down another crazy road into the valley. After spending an hour or so in the little town at the edge of the fjord, having a very expensive, but good cup of coffee, we headed for a cruise of the fjord. Bloody brilliant! The boat was full of extremely rude Japanese and Korean tourists but apart from that it was wonderful. There was a commentary in about 6 or so languages telling you all about certain things you could see that was actually quite interesting and I was disappointed when we got to the other side of the fjord and it was time to get off the boat.

 

After a quick lunch it was time to head back. Another short ferry ride, and some of the longest tunnels I have ever been in (why go around or over a mountain when you can go through it!) got us backs to the top of trolls pass. It was just as fun going down as it was going up. Trolls Pass is one of those places I look at, even at the photos I took and I still find it hard to believe that I have been there. It still seems like a dream because it was that amazing.

Tags: norway

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.