Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Speak English!

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 3 March 2008 | Views [581] | Comments [2]

As it turns out, Aussie don't speak english. I had never really considered that 'australian' could be a dialect of english untill i came over here. You really would be suprised. Here is a short list i am compiling. Nadia's english to aussieish dictionary.......

mangetout:   apparently these are what we would call snowpeas. They are a source of daily arguement in our tearoom.

flume or floom: this is a waterslide. I must have looked like a big doofus when i got a request saying that a patient had hurt their foot on a floom.....and of course i said 'what the hell is a floom?'

pen (white board): the english have never heard of the word texta. I asked one of the chicks today if we had anymore textas and she looked at me as if i was mad. ......eventually saying 'oh you mean pen?' i said 'no i mean a texta....you know like a whiteboard one''yeah a pen''no,not like a biro pen....a texta'........the arguement still continues and now involve a few patients, a relative of a patient, a porter, a student, and 3 radiographers. I will not back down on this one.

faggott- this apparently is some sort of meatball. Good thing it sounds bloody awful cos i'd feel strange asking for one (i had to ask one of the other radiographers what it was, i was too embarassed to ask the guy in the cafeteria)

flip flops- thongs........chris and i will convince them.

poorly- a favourite of mine, as mentioned before , meaning sick.

i'm sure there are a thousand more. and i'll certainly keep up with my dictionary, and my attempts to change the english dictionary one word at a time.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

This is very amusing. Now would you like Vegemite or jam on your toast?

  LucyE Mar 6, 2008 12:50 AM

2

A Flume is a water slide built into a river by concreting the natural slope and flow of the river into a half tubey kinda thing. We used to go fluming all the time in the US. NOTE: Obviously it is best to ride down on a plastic mat, or for smoother concrete an inner tube......best not to do so on your bare bum, can cause it can cause severe concrete burn and rather large holes in swimmers! I found out the hard way when the break neck speeds I was gaining caused the plastic mat protecting my bum gave way!

  Your Big Blister Mar 26, 2008 7:21 PM

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.