Existing Member?

4 Over 5: The World is My Home

The Kindness of Strangers

ARGENTINA | Monday, 2 December 2019 | Views [164]

One of the things I have come to appreciate (and in some cases rely on) about the Patagonian people is the kindness of strangers. Take my trip from Piramides to Pto Madryn.  I was leaving on a Saturday and unfortunately because it was not yet high season, the buses were eratic.  So I asked at the tourist centre if they knew of another way to the city. The lady there said she would ask around to see if anyone was going to Madryn. I did not really expect anything to come of it.  However, that evening she contacted me to say her uncle was going and would take me. Juan turned out to be lovely gentleman in his eighties who not only took me to the city and wanted no compensation, but took me on a scenic tour of the area before dropping me off.

Later, my hostel's owner helped me arrange my stay in Los Alerces National Park. However, he did not realize I suppose that the park's facilities and transport are not yet open for the season. I had to rely on passing cars in order to get around. While not everyone stopped, someone always did and they were almost always Argentinian.  One such couple took me all the way back to the town of Esquel (a two hour ride) and offered me their food and mate.

I am very grateful for the generosity of these people.  As one kind stranger said to me "We are not a people that would leave someone stranded". Imagine what the world would be if we all thought that way.

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.