Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Flying High Over Acapulco Bay

MEXICO | Monday, 19 December 2016 | Views [167]

We slept in a bit this morning and were awoken to the sound of the surf. The sun was shining and the beach already appeared to be bustling with people. We relaxed, worked on the blog and enjoyed some breakfast snacks we picked up at the local convenience store.


Around 10am our maid came knocking so we knew it was time to move along. After packing a light bag, we set out to explore the city. Acapulco has been plagued with a lot of gang and mafia violence in recent years, months, days. The security presence is very apparent. While it may have seem normal to me (just coming from Goma, DRC), Tim was clearly taken aback by trucks after trucks of army squads in full combat gear. There is a serious military presence here with soldiers standing guard at random street corners.

Our real reason out this morning was to get a few provisions for the room: wine, stuff for a picnic, oh and a hat (that wasn't on the list but I couldn't resist).


Tim just liked wandering the grocery store and it was a great one stop shop where we got everything from cheese to tequila.

After the short walk back to our 'neighbourhood', we picked up some marginally good tacos and nachos. It didn’t take long to be well established on the beach!



We just relaxed for the better part of 2 hours. I really wanted to try beach para sailing. Tim enquired to our local 'friend' about the cost and when to do it. It was active so he booked me for the longest flights, about 10 minutes (600 pesos, $30).


They strapped me in, gave me some shoddy instructions and off I went; whats the worst that can happen, fall in the water from 120 feet ;-p


The view was amazing, I wish I could have brought a camera.



The ride took me from one end of the bay to the other and back. Too far for very good pictures.


Before I knew it I was back on the ground after having one of the most amazing experiences ever.



By comparison, they rest of the day was uneventful. We sat on the beach until about 4:30 and after 5 hours time Tim looked like a lobster. I didn't want to leave, even putting up a bit of a fight, but we needed some rest out of the sun. To be honest, I fell asleep for about 4 hours, pretty much putting a nail in the night.




Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.

About mitann

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries


Near Misses

My trip journals

See all my tags 



Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.