Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Rocky Road Home

MEXICO | Tuesday, 20 December 2016 | Views [194]

I definitely like this room and Acapulco in general so far, but the beds are not as comfortable as our hotel in Mexico City. This morning we woke up rested but Tim has a cold and was up with cold sweats and chills. Probably too much sun and then the air conditioning in the room. “Ann, Ann, can you call my mom”.....men and their man colds.

We scheduled snorkeling this morning so there was no time for Tim to moan about. We got caught up on the blog, had a quick bite to eat and met Richard at the beach. Our scheduled departure was 11:00 but at 10:40 he called us to say the boat arrived.

 Initially the boat seamed very small and we didn't see any gear. There was three couple including an English couple from California. They were visiting family in Mexico City and decided on having a coupe days at the hot beaches. They were scuba diving for the first time, seemed kinda crazy to us and the guide “assured everyone it was easy and safe”. No thanks, snorkeling is fine. The view and boats on the ocean were beautiful.

We connected and transferred to a catamaran that took us to a quiet cove. The water was clear and warm. There were plenty of fish but it was certainly not the best we have seen. The water was deep and there were only a few large rocks that attracted some fish. Having snorkeled in the Florida Keys and Thailand, this was sub par, but enjoyable. We swam around for about an hour and we were pretty much done. The couple scuba diving for the first time said they enjoyed it, but every time we saw them they were at the surface.

 

The boat ride back was amazing. We were inundated with dolphins and being in a very small boat, some were almost in touching distance. The boat operator stopped for a bit for us to get some pictures and then even drove parallel to them. One had a fish in its mouth and others seemed to be doing tricks for us. It was a bit hard to get pictures because they moved very fast and were not predictable.

 

We landed back at the beach and were getting off the boat. It was a bit weird to Tim that the boat operator asked if we were sure we wanted to get off there, but I understood it wasn't our hotel drop off. I simply thought Tim wanted to walk the beach and indeed at first it seemed like a good idea.

 

What we didn't know was there was a rock formation that cuts the beach in two. We first discovered this when Sea-doo renters were telling us the rocks were impassable; but, like stubborn travellers thinking they were just trying to sell us something we decided to give it a try.

 

A man, David, was kind of following us and it turned out to be a very good things. The rocks appeared from one side to be only about 6-10 feet, but up closed and around the corner we discovered it was quite a different story. Although it wasn't impassable or even as hard as some of the climbs we have done, having the choice, I would not do it again in bare feet and caring a drink. Good thing David was there as he held my hand and carried my cup as I descended the 20-30 foot rocks. We would have liked to get some pictures, but being afraid of falling down a 30 ft drop to the rocky ocean....I forgot....nor did I have a free hand to hold the camera.  Our feet and hands were soar; and our legs were tired, but we succeeded. Rock climbing in Mexico, check, done.

 

We strolled along the beach back to our hotel and came to our room for a rest. The plan was to have a quick nap and go out for dinner. That plan evolved into having a romantic night in with champagne, snacks and just enjoying each others company on our patio with a view of the ocean.

 

 

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.