Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Pacific Coast, Sunday the14 th

MEXICO | Monday, 22 October 2012 | Views [767]

 

 
Coming down the mountains and reaching the Pacific coast was a blast -  the bikes knew where to go, the traffic was light and the wind on our side...SO EXCITED -yes, Pacific means home, Pacific means rest a day, Pacific means less rain, more sun, palm trees and abundance of fruit.
Guess what??? NADA SIP ZERO NOTHING......
hot and humid, yes, but no palm trees, no sweet little village and no rest.  Reason being that we were so disappointed after our exhilarating downhill, we decided to take our chances and go the 17 miles further after reaching Tehuantepec to actually get to a beach. Salina Cruz looked on the map like a beach town (suspicious though, because the Lonely Planet didn't mention it at all) and in my ears it sounded kind of cute too...... Once we got there we realized we just been dreaming and not seeing the signs! This town had nothing to offer though there was a beach, but oil tankers blocked the view and the sign said no  swimming and the rip tides were actually visible, these swirling things right after the wave breaks....besides the place was littered with broken beer bottles and a few abandoned houses, broken glass of all kinds...simply a pit hole.
We saw some hotels and motels in and around Salina Cruz and chose to check in and call it a day (we had tail wind out, so we would be fighting the wind back and our disappointment took "all the wind" out of our sails and we didn't feel like riding our bikes back to Tehuantepec all 17 miles through industrial areas and ugliness)
The hotels were horrendously expensive (WHY????) and the motels here in Mexico are sex stops. You rent by the hour, not for the night and, anyways, creepy places with garages that cover up the license plate of the cars, so nobody can be identified. I really didn't feel like sleeping in those sheets, even if they would have let us.
We made it back the town of Tehuantepec against the odds, against the winds and, pretty much against our will. James and my mood had been sinking for a while, but now it was stuck on the bottom, simply couldn't sink any further..we were pissy enough to get into a fight about benign things and succeeded at that. We found a pretty nice reasonable hotel in town after we've been riding 70km on the day we planned to rest and left the next morning to continue on our path along the flat, boring road into the head winds....dreaming of palm trees, hoping this long seemingly  never ending road will be leading back to our beloved mountains and into Chiapas soon. More fights? No, we behaved, but were still pissy!

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.