Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Past entries from Baja

MEXICO | Thursday, 16 August 2012 | Views [854]

our bikes at the pacific coast of Baja

our bikes at the pacific coast of Baja

It must be the 17th of June- Sunday on our way to El Rosario, we stopped at a remote beach/dune to camp before leaving the Pacific and the roads leads us inland.
Leaving our camp area yesterday, we encountered headwinds and trucks, headwinds and trucks, headwind and trucks...
I was on the edge to give up and take the bus through these most dangerous streets on earth -as it seems- and especially after I had "caught an edge" with my front wheel which spun me out right into the middle of the street and slightly into the oncoming lane - my heart pumping, I was shaking - partly in amazement, that the heavy traffic had lit up for that moment (are there guardian angels? - Must be so!!) I did not go down and I couldn't really stop, 'cause if I did, I would not go back on my bike....Kept going until my heart calmed down and  I felt good to be alive and still on my bike.
Shortly after this experience the road became quiet - in fact desolate and the ride most pleasant - thank god! 
Stocked up with food and purified water in El Rosario and headed into the desert to the middle of Baja. Temperatures are now up to 109 = 38c.
Last night, after feeling a huge relieve not having to battle with the trucks, we stayed at the dunes as mentioned before. It got cold, sticky, windy and therefore sandy, but we were happy, had a real good dinner with the "old" anchovies still from TJ's.
At night - matter affect: in the middle of the night, and this was not the first time this happened, even though this was the most isolated place we have camped since we left the States - two men from the military in camouflage, big boots, heavily armed with machine guns, woke us up and ask us if we had drugs or guns - no, two Gringos (though if I was any like it and I am not, because I am from Germany, I would be a Gringa) and two bicyclettas. ( I think that could be a neat bumpersticker). 
I don't trust anybody with a gun, but these guys are friendly and better to encounter the military (in this case) than the people involved in the drug war (with their guns)
Well, these friendly people had a good laugh when they heard what we are up to and after they left I had plenty of nightmares until the morning.....
Now we didn't get too far today because of the heat, but found a friendly rancho, had a shower and now off to bed in the tent.

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.