Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Baja - back in time ...the beginning

MEXICO | Saturday, 4 August 2012 | Views [925]

Past entries for Baja
In Baja - left Ensenada today the 14th of June.....coming out of the fog of worrying and into the full realization of this life time experience of this trip. IT IS!!! It's happeningrightnow: Exactly what I wanted to do in my life......I AM DOING IT!
A day later, only the 15th and totally disillusioned: The main (pretty much the only) road in Baja has no shoulder and traffic is horrendous, trucks are constantly driving (night and day). 
Barbara Savage wrote in her book: Miles from Nowhere when she described riding in Florida and having to jump in the ditch next to the road to avoid getting hit by a truck. I thought I learned that here in B. drivers seemed fairly respectful, but when a truck passed me on a hill with only a foot distance between the tires and my  back panniers. ( I truly am amazed the straps didn't catch. I froze for a second anticipating the winds would blow me under the truck and in between the tires that kept coming...But I was able to hold the line (and the road was not broken up...), sweating bullets (no hot flash!!)  
After that James stayed behind me, calling out when it was time to bale and jump in the ditch - just like it was described in B.S.'s book - never thought I would go through anything even remotely like this.
But here it is: I am exhausted!!!! Mentally and physically - only rode 100km and it feels like 100miles or even more. Feeling doubtful about this trip at this point - head winds, cold temperatures (we are talking about Baja, no sun, fog and wind. Right now I actually don't want to go on......thinking of yesterday and how happy I was and without a doubt - all gone today....how can I go on?
While I am writing this, I am sitting at a campground next to route 1 and the trucks are thundering  past. Just think positive doesn't work right now.....can't wait to be asleep and maybe I wake up somewhere else....

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.