Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Back in the "old country"

GERMANY | Monday, 29 June 2009 | Views [1040] | Comments [1]

In the train to Bochum:

The days after leaving Kathmandu are like a daze again.

Going from an extremely poor country into one of the richest parts of the world is a shock as anyone can imagine...........no matter how you wanna look at it!

Coby and I stayed in a hotel in Dubai waiting for Nora's arrival from Arizona the next day after. Holding Nora in my arms with Coby next to me, I could really feel it now: We made it!! All my wishes came true for my B'day (-year).

Coby went back to Abu Dhabi that night, Nora and I stayed in the Hotel in Dubai to attend a 6am Bikram yoga class in town. It was good, my - still very sore- body was aching to stretch (I was not inspired to stretch a muscle on the whole trek..... and so I didn't!)

After the class (and - by the way- they had the air-conditioning on inside, to level out the heat. If you know Bikram, the heat in the room is around 105-110 f., but the outside temperature in the UAE is often 120 f), we went to the "Mall of the Emirates". All of it seemed like a movie to me. In one week I went from deep in the Himalayas in Nepal, to India, to the UAE now I am on my way to Germany. I spent a lot of time on my B'day to sort out my stuff that I had left in Abu Dhabi before the big trip. What goes with me to Germany, what needs to be send back to the USA....? We thought we had an extra day, but as Nora pointed out, we were leaving the night on my B'day (1:30am).

Coby had some more work to do (there is a real workaholic for you....) and Nora and I went to the women's beach on the corniche. The water was warm the sand on the bottom was shiny - all of it man made (OK, not the sand itself...): The island we saw accross, the beach, weird just weird.....

Coby picked us up in his "new" SUV, took us back to the apartment and we got ready to celebrate my B'day with a dinner that day. It was very nice. Marco the Italian roommate joint us.

Soon after dinner we left to catch our flight to Frankfurt.

Frankfurt is easy - trains and subways are all connected - we went to our favorite hostel in town - right next to the "Hauptbahnhof". We got there early, left our luggage, went to town to have some breakfast and then to the market where I was overwhelmed by wanting EVERYTHING at the same time (as in fish and chocolate from the bakery). 

We all went to Bikram in Frankfurt that day. Ahhh............

 

 

Comments

1

OK - "send" and "sent" - we need a little workshop here. My "new" SUV is a 2006 model (still the newest vehicle I've ever owned - and probably ever will). The sand in Abu Dhabi is not man-made. Maybe rearranged a bit.

  Coby, the Word Dragon Jul 1, 2009 6:27 AM

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.