Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Es ist nicht alles gold was glaenzt

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Wednesday, 18 February 2009 | Views [612]

I made a HUGE mess with my credit card (have you ever tried paying your card twice in the same month and not having enough Moola both times? Does that go into the same category as an over achiever?), and it spun me into another attack of anxiety – my flight is on Friday this week. I guess I am relaxed enough now to write about it. Fact of the matter is, I don’t owe any money on the card at this point, another is, that there is such a mess in my statement, on the account, that they actually blocked all payments (one reason might be, that I was “going shopping on line” in Germany and in UAE as well as in the USA, besides trying to buy a flight to India at which point I found out the card isn’t working no more….). So, I did get the flight (on another card) and I am “out of here”. Run while you can is what I am thinking…………….no, not really, I am sure things are getting straightened out while I am writing this…….

Now, that I am getting used to my surroundings – or maybe I am just getting used to being “out of place”, I am enjoying being “out of my bubble” – meaning, instead of getting frustrated not getting where I planned to go—simply enjoying the trip or getting flexible with the destinations. So far, my experience on a small scale is, trying to get an internet connection (besides internet cafes) or even something as simple as voicemail on my phone. My favorite place right now for learning the above is a state owned company called: Etisalat. The attached picture was taken inside the building (no photos allowed………..!!!) It still blows me away how professional and confident people give answers that simply lead NOWHERE. Now, after being fooled enough times in the past few weeks, I have entered the building confident to know my lesson and ready to confront anybody who offers the answers to my questions and I am satisfied to report the breaking of the shell: I am getting stumbles and smiles…………..there are real people behind the façade. (Keep in mind that the whole building inside and out supports what has been played here………) Maybe part of it being, that they know my face by now and know that I know and keep coming back more amused than angry……….something like that! It’s fun to let go of time –not being attached to the outcome. (Who needs voicemail, when you can text, anyways?)

For me it just means more internet cafés for now– I won’t be able to enjoy being connected in our apartment before I leave, but I might as well face it: It’s not going be any different for the next few month and HOPEFULLY I will be able to find enough internet cafes on my way to be able to keep up this journal.

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.