Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Getting out of the bubble after 4 years of preparing

USA | Friday, 15 February 2019 | Views [376]

James and I still at home

James and I still at home

Saturday February 9th

First day “on the road again”

Home sweet home didn’t let us go that easy!
An AMAZING good bye gathering at the Java Hut in Fairfax so joyful and loving. I filled up my “tank” with all that love and chocolate (it goes together!)and hugs, hugs, hugs, hugs, hugs and kisses, kisses, kisses, kisses....
 
Soon the rain started and soon after, the tears were rolling. I love my home and my people, my friends and all I do and have done and it feels like I am tearing myself away....to go into the world, the unknown...OUT OF THAT BUBBLE that I love so much. 
And then....”On the road again” from Willie Nelson and “On the road again” from Canned Heat...singing away, the rain couldn’t bother any of us. Us is James, our friend Margie, who is joining us all the way to Florida this time and I.
But, the singing stopped when the wind started blowing  and the rain felt like needles in our faces at Ocean Beach in San Francisco. (Actually we had a small introduction on the Golden Gate Bridge around  each tower. Both times Margie and I were blown off our bikes and had to walks around the corners of each tower.The wind had fun grabbing our heavy gear and tossing us around..)
None of us could talk, sing or anything. It took all our concentration to stay on the road and into the headwind - sometimes gusty side winds. Skyline - the road that leads us south wasn’t much better, except it rewarded us for several minutes with a double rainbow . 40 miles took twice the effort and being scared of fast driving cars and wind gusts is exhausting.
We had planned to stay the night in Half Moon Bay with a WS host on his sailboat, but, I am reporting: we didn’t make it! 
So, we are cozy in a hotel in Pacifica instead eating tons of chocolate - feeling the love!
We are not too far from Half Moon Bay, but between the two towns there is a piece of coastline called “Devil’s Slide”. No shoulder, steep, fairly long road to the top. Riding that one in the dark with weather conditions I had described earlier is just too much for us to handle today. Instead we are probably going to sleep early, dreaming of our wonderful friends and family “my bubble” at home and maybe finding the beginning of the rainbow in dreamland tonight.

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.