Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Cali to Cali. (22nd of April)

COLOMBIA | Sunday, 28 April 2013 | Views [593]

We found Erik here in Cali (we met him way back in Honda) and he took us to his artist friend Gerald who reminded me of S. Dali.

We found Erik here in Cali (we met him way back in Honda) and he took us to his artist friend Gerald who reminded me of S. Dali.

Yes, indeed - we rode from CALIfornia to CALI, Colombia.

Our most generous host family in Tulua drove us  out of town (meaning they showed us the way with the truck) send us on a flat aimed highway to Cali.
The day before was spend in our host families' finca  with plenty of chicken and other good food to eat. Three dogs...we laid around as we had nowhere to go - ever. We were spoiled rotten to say the least. Shortly after my statement in Bogota about "Warm Shower" hosts everything changed. Plenty of response to requests this time.
All "buttered up" we left on the flattest road since...since.....I don't even know when.....
The Cauca Valley is hot (just the right temperature for me) and beautiful - the trucks manageable. Reached Cali in the rain. Found a hostel and hooked up with Erik ( we had met him in Honda way back before Bogota and reconnected). 
Don't know what to say about Cali now...big fun town, good temperature, friendly Colombians. Erik introduced us to his friend the artist in his studio and for lunch we went out to the most delicious vegetarian restaurant yet -  run by a friend of Erik's and his wife. Home cooked food can't be beat. Scrumptious!! Antonio had cycled from Cali to Santiago some 15 years ago and was happy to share his experience. Though he cycled through the Atacama desert and based on his experience he suggested to take the mountains through Bolivia and Peru (which we had planned anyways, but it is good to be reassured) 
We were all so comfortable together and when I ask if Erik and Antonio would want to ride with us for a  bit south they were totally up for it -plans were made to leave in another day (though James and I didn't do anything special, it wasn't hard to spend another day in the city), heading to Silvia, a little mountain town 28km off the PanAmerican Highway. Their mutual friend has a finca near by where we can spend the night. Off we went at 5:30am.

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.