Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

Sick but joyous in Arequipa

PERU | Tuesday, 13 May 2008 | Views [603] | Comments [1]

I´m on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories because of a throat infection, but otherwise, having a ball in Arequipa. It´s the second largest city in Peru, but it´s lovely. Quaint colonial buildings everywhere, and only got harrased by tourist touts about 3 times all day. They have these little pots of flowers on the wall of houses all the way down the street, it´s very pretty. People here look at us with curiosity, but don´t molest us. We stopped to have some tuna (a fruit) on the side of the street, and the lady thought I was 17 years old. Maybe travel has rejuvinated me? Or Peruvians are crap with guess age of Asian people.

So Inna and I are travelling together for a while, she´s even going out of her way to come to Lima with me so we can go to parties (she has other reasons as well). We arrived yesterday avo, first sight of the city was gorgeous; it was sunset, and the houses on the hill were bathed in a warm orange glow. We walked around a bit and found a friendly hostel, not too noisey, close but not too close to things, and for 15 soles each a night, twin room with private bathroom. Very good find.

We also ate guinea pig. We had talked about it, both thought it´s kinda gross but definitely need to try it. We went into the main Plaza de Armas, to one of the tourist restaurants (locals don´t usually eat it, only for ceremonies), had soups, cebiche (seafood cooked in lemon juice, a famous Peruvian fare), and the cuy (guinea pig). It was small, not meaty, and weird tasting. It´s like eating a small bird with a bit of a porky taste. Hard to describe, but definitely not bland. The cebiche was okay, but not as nice as the one I had by Erika in Santiago. We were exhausted (10 hour bus journey on the shittiest old bus), went to bed at like 8pm, and got up this morning about 6 or 7am. I was sick during the night, feverish and very sore throat. Today I went to the farmacist and they just gave me the drugs without any prescription.

Breakfast was fruit salad for 4 soles ($1.50), walked around town, and to a look out over the city and volcanos. Lunch was soup (chake?) and a chicken thing for 3 soles. That would be the cheapest meal I´ve had in South America yet - $1!! Later, sat on the roof top of our hostel and had beer and read guide books. So, the plan is, we go to Colca Canyon tomorrow. Spend a night in Cabanaconde, see the condors soar in the morning, and come back here in the avo. Leave for Lima that night on a bus, maybe Inna will fly there, but I want to check out the sand dunes in Ica, on the way there. Should be fun. It´s good to travel with someone I get along with, don´t find me too super organised (the kids I meet think I´m maybe anally retentive because I bookmark my guidebook and like to plan my day, Inna does it too). So all is super cool :)

 

Comments

1

te amo carlita

  yuler Oct 8, 2009 12:22 AM

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.