Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

Oops, missed my flight

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 12 March 2008 | Views [1024]

Let me start right at the beginning... Monday morning, I woke up fresh and happy. I did my errands and managed to get a couple hours of study in before my final Spanish class. After that, I went off to the drum performance and even got there not very late. However, I waited at the wrong place for about 20 minutes so did end up being late. It's surprising to see so many people out on a Monday night, but that's the norm here. The drums thing was fantastic, really exciting stuff, and the venue was really cool too (see gallery). However, it was my last night in BA, and when I met up with a few more friends, they wanted me to stay for a drink to say final goodbyes. Of course, I obliged them. I was very happy to spot Dan (>2m tall!) in the crowd, and just went and hugged him. Just outside the place, this girl grabs me and says "heyyy, I remember you from the gallery!". It was completely random, but I had approached this group of gringos to share a cab that afternoon I was at the MALBA and it was raining, and they recognised me. So, with some difficulty, everybody meanders to the afterparty.

Now the problem is, I was supposed to meet Vamsi at his friend Nigel's place, but he had texted me a '!' instead of '1' in the number of he address, so I ended up at the wrong place. Nevertheless, I made it there eventually, and even had a look at Nigel's website, selling wines and renting cellar space.

By the time we got home, it was almost 2am, my flight was at 5:45am, so I set my alarm for 3am, and went to sleep. Next thing I knew, I woke up and it was 5am, my watch was missing, and I totally freaked. I packed my bags pronto and ran out into the streets. Had to walk 3 blocks to find a taxi but managed it without too much fuss. I get to the airport then realise I had left my passport in the safe in the apartment, so the taxi driver flew me back, picked up my passport, and was on my way to the airport again. I got there at exactly 5:45, but of course check-in was closed, and my plane was leaving without me. It was a miserable feeling, but I knew I had to try! Flights can get delayed, it happens all the time.

Anyways, I go back to the apartment and went to sleep. I slept all day and was feeling pretty ill. The guy at the airport had put me on the waiting list for the next flight, meaning I had to get there at 4:15am, and wait around till 5:30 to see if they could fit me on the flight. The flight was also full, so the prospects were not good. So if I don't get on the next flight, I could keep trying every morning, or get my scheduled flight in 2 weeks' time. I was REALLY upset because Vamsi was supposed to wake me, and he had taken my watch, so I didn't hear my alarm. Anyways, the truth of the story was, Vamsi TRIED to wake me but I wasn't getting up, and he gave up after a while. Oh the stupidity of it all!!!

Anyways, this evening, we find a seat has become available on the next flight, and it was even in my price range. So I rescheduled my flight quick-like, and have a confirmed seat on the flight. And it's 2am, have to leave in 2 hours, not planning to sleep just incase it happens again.

However, LAN hasn't sent me a confirmation email yet, so it might all just screw up again... so stay tuned dear readers, as the misadventure unfolds, in the next episode of "Lucy's most funny/tragic travelling stories"...

 

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.