Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

The world is a beautiful place

ARGENTINA | Monday, 17 March 2008 | Views [591]

The last couple of days has absolutely affirmed my reasons for travelling. This world is beautiful.

Down here, at the most southern point of South America, "El Fin del Mundo" (The End of the World), you are reminded of the majesty of living world, and what it feels like to be a live. I breathed the sub-antarctic air, looked up and saw snow-peaked mountains looming over me, walked in the forests and bogs and scaled a mountain to reach the glaciers. I was a little ant on scampering over the great mountain beast´s back.

The first moment I arrived in the airport, I could feel the cold air rushing through the aeroplane doors, and it was crisp and cutting. My nose started to run instantly, but that´s beside the point. The little town of Ushuaia is nestled at the base of Mount Tres Hermanos (The Three Brothers), and another mountain, forgotten it´s name. I went to Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego (Land/Earth of Fire National Park), there I briefly crossed into Chile (there were no guards or gate or anything!). There were a huge number of rabbits, and I saw a red fox as well.

The 2nd day in Ushuaia, I met up with Moran and Yotam, both Israelis, and we went to Laguna Esmerlda. It was just amazing. The walk was easy and through forests, grass fields, swamps, finally reaching the emerald green lake beneath a snow capped mountain. There we met other people, they shared a Israeli coffee with us over a small fire.

Unfortunately by this stage I had hurt my archilles tendon pretty badly, not sure why. So the third day we went up to a glacier, but I chairlifted half the way. It was still an incredibly difficult climb, took ages, but it was nice being able to walk on the glacier and go "yeah me!"

I just took got to El Calafate at 1am last night, slept well. Not sure what to do today, ankle still hurts.

 

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.