Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

Carnaval madness

BRAZIL | Monday, 4 February 2008 | Views [517]

Madness it is. Crazy people everywhere. Parties every day, every night. Men trying to grab you for a kiss, or rob you. Pickpockets and dodgey vendors run off with your money when you're expecting your change. Groups of guys converging and picking you clean. Fights if you don't cooperate. That's a pretty grim picture but thankfully none of that happened to me. It happened to the people I'm around, so it's not that "friend of a friend" thing. Seen a few fights, police don't do very much.

First night we were at Barra, right near the beach, the blocos (band on a truck with a roped off area around where people pay lots of money to be inside, but it's safe in a bloco) were loud and fantastic. We followed DJ Tiesto for a while, apparently it's his 3rd year there in a row. Brazilians like their Brazilian music though, so the local groups usually get the biggest crowds. At the end of the night one of my friends was almost robbed, and another one punched in the nose. She had blood everywhere from a nose bleed. Wasn't TOO bad but we decided to go home.

Yesterday went to Rio Velmelho where there was a festival for the Goddess of the ocean. People buy roses and throw them into the sea. It was very pretty. Some people went for a swim but I checked out the street stalls and had a whole range of stuff: fried fish, acaraje, fruity gelatos, roasted nuts, lots of water...

Last night we went to the party at Pelorinho, which was family oriented lots of cute kids. I dared not take my camera out anywhere but Pelo seemed pretty safe, so might take some pictures later. Then we went to the Campo Grande circuit which turned out to be pretty rough. An Aussie guy from the hostel got robbed by a vendor, another was pickpocketed (though not successful), then fights broke out and shit was everywhere. We had a police escort, 3 on each side, to accompany us out of the crazy zone. So far so good. I lost 5 real today, but that was my fault. :)

All is fun. I'm super careful though, so no need for worry :)

Photos to come!!!!!!!!!!

Tags: Adventures

 

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.