Existing Member?

New Beginnings...

Busy bee

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 6 March 2013 | Views [421]

Wow, what a first week this has been. I've been very bad at updating and I'm just gona summarise whats been happening instead of a daily update....

So, since saying good bye to the boys I've just been job hunting and hanging out with Tim. He's been super cute coming over to Sunny's with lunch and then poping by with dinner.. I met his friend Mackenzie (aka Macca) who had just come in from Korea, and she's awesome. Didn't end up going out with them that night which was annoying as there was a really good punk rock gig on.. But you know sometimes you just can't be bothered with going out.. This was one of them nights and I think it would have been nice for Tim to spend some time with his buddy instead of me all the time.. So I just watched some game of thrones and chilled.

One afternoon Sunny poped in and some of the other guys from the house & I went out to "green lake" and had some beers and played some scrabble which was a nice afternoon, and it was good to get out the house for a bit... Sometimes you just go crazy, but I'm taking as much relaxing in as possible till the crazy teaching starts... Met some of the other guys who live here and they seem nice enough- 1 girl in particular I got on with really well, so hopefully catch up soon? I'm really enjoying the community here!!!

Managed to get a job!! In a motorbike rental shop, not very well paid, but it'll do for now, and I'm starting tomorrow! In the evening Tim took me and Macca down to the water front so that he could meet with his buddy's for a longboarding sessh, and that was nice to meet yet more people and it was a good chance to get to know Macca more.. She's a laugh! Everyone here is so friendly! One of the guys that came down called Bush is actually a DJ and we've been invited to check out his set at this regaee bar down town..

We missed Bush's set which was a shame cos we were waiting on Sunny.. haha.. But we had an awesome night, and Tim introduce me to his band mates and they seem pretty cool will be nice to meet them again properly. As we left to go home.. Macca, Tim and I noticed that his tyre was a bit flat and wouldn't be a good idea to drive 3 of us on the scoot home.. So we ended up meeting his scooter guy who thankfully lived in the area and was able to meet us to collect the bike.. We met him after getting a bit lost lol and ended up getting in a cab home.. We got in quite late so we just fell asleep quite quicky.. ANNND itsmy job interview tomorrow and I dont' wana be hanging... I swear since Vang Vieng I just can't drink! hahahaha Stupid tubing..

First day of work wasn't too bad. Managed to walk there without getting too lost.. When I got there I had a little chat with the boss who doesn't speak the best English but the other guy Albert from Canada explained the job and said I can start tomorrow!!! Its not the best paid job but its enough for rent for now.. I can always do teaching p/t which at this stage may be better suited? Seems like alot of people here take a few p/t jobs..

We ended up going to a fantastic conert that Tim got tickets for. Tokyo jazz club.. uuuuhh It was SO good. Shame we got there to late, but it was still awesome. Bumped into some of the people I met last weekend there which was nice. But I can't and don't really want to drink that much cos I have an interview tomorrow for a bike rental shop.. But I have a few, had an awesome dance and took photos with the police officers that ended up getting into trouble with the boss man for letting us all take photos, haha. Afterwards we went to Madakay which is a bar/music performance place... I was pretty tiered by this point.. But I was pretty keen to check this place out, seems like its the place to be... and it was, so many of us westerners.. Good vibe and we caught some of Bush's set and it was siiick, really enjoyed it, haven't been to a dubstep/dnb night in agesssss and it was awwwwesome.. Bumped into some of the guys from the house aswell so we all had a little boogy:) Tim and I ended up going home early though cos I was just super tiered... Felt a bit bad cos I was happy to jump in a cab on my own, but Tim insisted on coming, bless him... Had such a good night, little bit gutted I couldn't stay and drink.... Nevermind, got pleanty of time!

Work was tiering but I'm enjoying having the girls here. Mingh is Mr Phung's daughter. She's super sweet.. Took me for brekkie and introduced me to some other foods I haven't tried yet, so thats been cool.. We've been sitting in the shop chatting, playing kaeokee and helping her and her friend learn English:):) Oh and braiding my hair:) Love them both..Had a bizzaree morning where I was asked by Mr Phung to help him on a job.. we drive a little bit and get to his father in law's house.. The scoot isn't turning over... So its obviously not working.. How are we supposed to get this back? Oh thats how, with me sitting on it and him pushing the bike (while he's on his) and he's driving whilst pushing me down a freeway.. if a car came, he'd push out hard so i'd sail through the traffic and he'd collect me again.. It was so funny- Only in SE Asia and thankgod I have insurence! LOOOLZ I've been told I have to try learning manual today.. UUURRRH Super nervous.. Put it off for awhile, but ended up going for it and it was awesome! Mingh's friend had been learning too, she's like 19 and tiny on this huge honda win.. and she took me for a drive around the lake- stalled a few times, but she inspired me to get up an go, so I did it.. And so HAPPY I did, cos it was awesome, and I got the hang of it quite quickly.. I'm gona be taking it home soon.. I'm still enjoying the semi auto I've just started to learn on though!

Mingh said she'd take me to some places to shop cos I still need trousers/tee-shirts etc.. So I get in touch with Macca and she met us afterwork, and we drove out to some places that she knew and let us wonder around bless her.. I didn't end up really buying anything wans't really my taste, but Macca did and I enjoyed hanging out with them both- Tim called half way through to see what was up and what was the plan for dinner.. He's mentioned pizza.. YUUUMM.. We've gotten into this habbit of ordering western food late at night and end up scoffing it in bed hahaha.. It takes me awhile to get back, got a little lost.. but I get there.. We order pizza AAANNND there's artichoke and ham which I'm just sooo keen for.. YUUMM. Tim's offered me to stay with him at his, which would make sense as I'm round there all the time and poor Sunny has to let me in in the morning's so I can change etc.. So it is easier.. Just super weird and fast, but thats travelling for you. We head over to Sunny's.. Pack up and head back and then I unpack again!

Woke up late on my 2nd day!!!! but managed to pull it off thankgod. Went to the same brekkie place Mingh took me too which made me relax.. Needed some food. When I got in my boss had racked up shots of vodka for everybody.. Can't say no, haha?!

Albert showed me some bikes and went through the in's and outs of them all so I can understand better and obviously can upsell which was cool.. Ended up leaving early for class... Which was cancelled anyway, but came back to help them put the bikes back into the shop for night.. Got back home & chilled

Yesterday was pretty cool... Managed to get the day off with Tim.. So we lay in, drove down to the Old Quater and had some brekkie/lunch.. We found a cool little Pho spot and scoffed that down.. Then we had a little walk over Long Bein bridge again which was nice and it was SUCH a nice day.. The walk is still amazing and we sat down and had a beer... We ended up sitting on a beer corner for around 3hours.. The beer is like 6000vnd which is like 20c so we spent 150,000 between 2 of us on rounds and rounds of beer, had a great time. Met some cool people.. But ended up leaving to go to west lake for a chill out with poi and the guitar

We never made it to west lake. I was quite drunk and sleepy so I had a small nap.. Then the guys from the band came round but Sunny was going out so we had to leave his.. Ended up going to a bar down the road.. Had to leave and get food though I was starving! A GF of mine who I met back in Chiang Mai (Kirby) met up with us to hang out- and Tim arranged for us all to hang out at the stuido whilst they practised..

There was a good group of us there, and it was sucha good night.. The music was awesome, beers were flowing.. Such a good night, thankgoodness I woke up!!! Adrian the bass player from South Africa got me doing tambareen which I'm apparently really bad at?! lol.. It was nice that Kirbs came out and her and Macca got on so well..

After practise we headed back to beer corner and the same group of guys where there. They were so funny.. They had bought everything that was being sold by the street vendures.. Books/masks/vodka hahaha.. dinosaur balloon which we all had to kiss.. Got kicked out though and Kirbs ended up going out with the guys whilst Tim, Macca and I drove home.. Got work tomorrow and Tim looks shattered! Such a good night..

Gona try now keeping this blog updated, cos I'm worried I'll forget things...  But so far Hanoi is amaaaazing! Looking forward to moving into the main house in a few weeks mind..

About lozza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.