Existing Member?

New Beginnings...

Laos-Veitnam via bus

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 20 February 2013 | Views [238]

So I get up early to collect my visa, and I'm really enjoying have the morning to myself and cycling to the embassy via the monument especially in the morning when the sun's coming up.. Its busy and police are up guiding the traffic, but its wierdly peacful.

I get there with 10mins to spare and read a bit of my book- around 8 they open up, its in and out within 1min, get my passport back and its done, got my visa for naaaam baby!:) Seeing as its early still I decided to head to the Wat at the top of the street to have a walk around seeing as its nice and quite.. and it is, its lovely, park the bike and have a stroll around.. When I get out of 1 section I notice a weirdo eyeing up my bike so I go towards it and he just runs off?! hhhmm.. I check out the main part of the temple, which is still closed as its still early but you can still enjoy looking around, watching the monks getting ready (smoking ciggies on the walls, haha) and find another reclining buddha which is also close to the cemetry which is actually very pretty.. What took me off aswell was the amount of street people living on the steps of 1 of the temples, wondering if they get fed here also as its the temple?

I get back to the hostel, finish packing and grab a shower, super sweaty on the cycle back! Stijn, Frans & I decided to hunt down some book stores, and I'm in hope that they'll have the next book in the Game Of Thrones series..

DAMN ITTTT they have the one I'm reading and not the next one, typical! haha.. see a few books that may do untill I can get the next book, but decide to just try the store round the corner (but it doesn't!)

I check some internet time before heading off to the Australian embassy as I need my passport certified for some documents that I need to send back.. The ride was actually very easy, long, but easy.. Its very flat in Vientiene:) When I get there I need to sign in, leave my phone/camera at the desk, get given a visitors pass that I have to wear- walk through metal detectors.. and finally you get through.. Not had such high security in aggges, its wierd. When I get to the desk I'm told I have to PAY for the service, which I didn't realise cos when I got this done before it was free.. I don't have enough cash as I didnt' want to take out lots of kip and have it left over when we get to Nam.. I ask her if there is a cash point close by, and there isn't.. AARGH, I'm just gona sort it in Hanoi, its late, and the cycle was 4kms.... DAAAAAM IT haha

I cycle round to the book store, pick up a book, some food and head back to the hostel.. The boys turn up soon after and we walk to the place we're getting picked up from.. THankfully we were able to leave our luggage there earlier in the day so its easy to get there.. We wait about half an hour before the guy shows up and takes us over road to the songtao which is full, but we can squeeze on fine.. Its a nice drive up the roads with the sun setting and may aswell lap up the heat as its gona be cooold in Veitnam..

The bus isn't what we expected. I mean its a sleeper bus, seems compfy and the seats are flat and you can move them upright.. but there isn't a toilet and the journeys 26hrs hhhmm? and it seems every white person was jipped.. The bus we were shown is next to our bus, seems commmfy as and solo seats, where as our bus you sit beside someone.. Everyone is a bit miffed and confused, but it doesn't seem too bad, I'm happy that its lie down but the toilet is annoying cos I always need to pee! There's a good group of us backpackers on so it shouldn't be too bad- There's more Dutch on the bus which is funny as we always bump into Dutch guys! After waiting like an hour past the time we were suppost to leave we're off- Nearly driving away without Stijn as he ran to the loo and we were all screaming and banging on the bus, but he's on! haha

I drop some valium, needs to be done... Have a little snooze untill the bus stops? Someone notices that the driver has pulled up at the side of the road to drink beer? They've even pulled out of the storage area little tables and chairs to sit on.. We're all confused but I'm happy in a way cos I can pee! haha..

Its seems that they were waiting for more people.. But there isn't any room? But they're actually putting people underneath our seats, as ours are elevated off the floor, and putting people there! Seems crazy!

I take a few more, f**k it! And before long I'm waaay off to sleep, and next minute I'm waking up, we've stopped, but it seems like we've reached the boarder and the buses wait for it to open which I think was 8am...

About lozza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.