Existing Member?

Bill's Big Trip "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do, nothing to kill or die for. Imagine all the people living life in peace. Imagine all the people sharing all the world. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one." John Lennon

Machu Picchu, Peru

PERU | Monday, 23 June 2014 | Views [409]

I tried, but didn't make it to the top of Machu Picchu. Several things conspired against me, mostly me. Machu Picchu is about four hours from Cusco (home base) via cab,train and bus. I left my hotel at 5:30 AM and didn't get to the trailhead until 11 AM. I started hiking uphill and passed a site that I would return to in about one half hour. As I hiked uphill I would talk to folks who had already been to the top and were on their way down. I had read and they confirmed that to enter the top site, you have to arrive by 12:30 PM. It's about a 5 mile uphill hike at 8000 feet above sea level. No way was I going to makei it, I turned around and headed back down the hill to the first sight. In retrospect I should've spent the night prior to the hike at the small town near the trailhead and started the hike early in the morning. It's questionable at best if I could've made the top. If I did I probably would've blown out a knee on the way back down. Anyhow, in spite of my original disappointment, I had a great day at Machu Picchu. (See pictures)

About lipowcan8

A quick recap. I visited 19 countries in 212 days, traveled 46,000 miles by air,15,000 miles by land and spent about $25,000. My feet got beat up a few times and I twisted my ankle a couple of times.  No plane, train, car, bus, tuk tuk or taxi mishaps, not even a fender bender. I wasn't threatened or harassed and amazingly enough I didn't lose anything. It's hard to believe seven months have passed. As I said in my first entry.....a wonderful way to celebrate 60 years of living. It sure was!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.