Existing Member?

Coccolori

Kayaking - I know that I am special

LAOS | Saturday, 1 January 2011 | Views [535]

I always knew I was somewhat special. Kayaking from Vang Vieng to Vientiane in Laos definitely confirmed it. Everything began very normal. Book a kayaking trip, hop onto the tuk-tuk, go to the river, put on a life-jacket and a helmet, listen to the instructions. So far, so good. After a first trial tour alone in my personal kayak, I was assigned a kayak together with another girl. I decided not to take this as an insult. It is not uncommon for future Olympic champions to have initial difficulties. So the two of us started paddling downstream. Just follow the flow and paddle regularly. Easy. Too easy for my taste. Boredom was about to set in. Then the first rapid came. My courage began shrinking as fast as the rapid was approaching. All the other kayaks went through unharmed; we were the last one. And we were doing well. Water on our left, water on our right, water everywhere. Just paddle, paddle, paddle. Almost through, yeah. We are the champions. Next thing I remembered is that the kayak over me. Wait a moment, something was not right. After due consideration I came to the conclusion that it should be the other way around, also because I would be able to breath again, which I quite like. So I got out, held on to the kayak, toppled it over and crawled into it. Exactly like a half-drunken crab. Well, so we were baptized in an affluent of the Mekong river. It could be worse. And it would be. In fact, the second rapid was waiting: Same thing, we knew it already, only that this time we were paddling even harder. The rapid came closer and closer. We knew we could make it. If only I didn't fall out of the damned kayak. I still don't really know what happened, I just remember that all of a sudden I was in the water again. Alone. Some claimed later that I jumped into the water by myself. I am convinced I fell out. Either way, it was not the most glorious of my performances. Having said that, I know I will continue unabated. This experience is a clear sign to start a career in swimming. Or maybe platform diving. After all, I know that I am special.

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.