Existing Member?

Coccolori

Laid-back Thailand?

THAILAND | Saturday, 18 December 2010 | Views [473] | Comments [1]

During the trekking around Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand our group went past a local school as well. As a kindergarten teacher, I was interested in learning something about the education system but how could I find out more about it? By walking into the classroom and asking the teacher? Maybe not the best idea. I did not even want to ask our guide as I was sure that it would not be possible anyway.

As often in Thailand, things turned out to be quite different,

Our guide told us straightaway that we could simply walk into the classroom to have a look. I almost did not believe my ears. Walk into the classroom to have a look? What would the teacher say? Maybe nothing. Maybe she would simply kick our butts to get us the hell out of her territory. At least that’s what would happen in Europe.

In Thailand, however, it was possible. Together with another woman I walked into the classroom, admittedly a bit nervous. To make up for our miserable Thai, we just put a broad smile on our faces. First of all, I tried to find the teacher to make sure she would not start screaming and call the police. But there was no teacher. She had apparently left the class alone for some time to make them work on their own. The children looked at us, some giggled, some smiled openly. We had a look around the classroom, waved at the children, took some pictures (!) and walked out again.

This is Thailand. So different, it will take me years to remotely understand this country and its people.

 

Comments

1

>
I like this. I will make u recall it someday ;)

  Alina Jan 29, 2011 11:58 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.