Existing Member?

Goodbye New Jersey. Hello World! A record of my journey as I give up my job, my possessions, and life as I know it to go off and see the world!

Australian Backpacking: Definitely Not the Same as Europe

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 24 January 2011 | Views [13389] | Comments [1]

Backpackers are always easy to spot. They’ve got the massive pack on their back plus the daypack they wear around their chest in the front. Sometimes you will see a tent or sleeping bag strapped onto the back as well. You will often find their face buried in a map or a piece of paper as they are trying to figure out where their next hostel is. Now a backpacker in Australia will also be carrying one other item: a cloth grocery bag from either Woolworths or Coles containing their food. It’s a joke really - every backpacker needs their food bag. Mine happens to be a pink one from Coles.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the differences lately between backpacking here as opposed to Europe. The transport is different, the people are different and even the hostels are different. I wanted to take a minute to let you know what they are - as I wished I had known before I left.

(1) So many European backpackers are Australian or Canadian. I don’t think I can recall a time I was at a hostel that didn’t have at least one Aussie. In China I hardly met any Aussie backpackers. I found backpackers here to mostly be from Europe, in particular Dutch and German people. Here in Australia Germans are everywhere, as well as French and some Canadian. Americans have always been rare for me to find no matter where I have been, but I have encountered more in Australia than I would have expected.

(2) The main way to get around in Australia if you don’t have a car is by bus. They have trains but it is more expensive and not as good. Flights are also pretty cheap. I hate going by bus and miss my train travel in Europe and Asia. There is no good public transport if you aren’t staying in a major city. I would imagine it would be like this for backpackers in the states as well. I miss my 14 cent metro rides in China.

(3) There are way more female backpackers traveling by themselves here than male. This was the same in Ireland as well but not the rest of Europe. I remember in some parts of Europe being the only girl in my dorm room. I think girls are more likely to travel on their own in countries they perceive as safer?

(4) Hostels in Australia cost more and you get less. Almost every hostel I stayed at in Europe and China had free wireless internet and I would say at least half had free breakfast. These things are rare in Aussie hostels I have found. A lot don’t even have free tea or coffee. Kitchens are used more in Australian hostels because it is so incredibly expensive to eat out here. Often you have to “hire” plates and pots and mugs from reception because backpackers have stolen them in the past. It’s so annoying. A lot of hostels in China don’t have kitchens but it doesn’t matter because it is so cheap to eat out anyways. The cheapest hostel I have stayed at in Australia was $21 a night but I have paid as much as $31. Hostels in Europe usually cost me $15 or less. In China I paid sometimes as low as $4.50 a night. I also found hostels in Europe to have more social activities for backpackers to participate in, such as pub crawls or city tours. You see this in Aus but not as often. A lot of hostels in Australia also have bars and some even with swimming pools. Honestly though - hostels here are shit.

(5) There are tours for practically anything here. Almost every Australian hostel I stayed at has had a tours desk. They really suck you into believing it’s the best way but I am learning the hard way that it’s often not. Sometimes you are forced to do a tour for something inaccessible, such as Fraser Island.

(6) I would say 70% of backpackers here are on the working holiday visa. They are often talking about finding work.

(7) Backpackers here will often buy a car together to drive around during their stay. Often it’s an old campervan that they can live in. Quite smart for covering a large amount of land.

(8) Often at hostels in Europe and China they will do your washing for you for cheap. Boy was I spoiled. I miss this. Here in Australia you can pay up to four or five dollars for a wash and just as much for a dry.

(9) Europe has a lot of free things for backpackers to do, such as walking tours. It’s definitely a lot harder to find the free things here in Australia but there are some (like free internet at McDonalds for example).

(10) Camping is a lot more popular here. I think if I knew this I would have invested in a good tent perhaps. It certainly is a cheaper option.

(11) Australian backpackers really utilize the internet to find people to share rides with, travel companions, jobs, and so on.

(12) The drink of choice for Aussie backpackers is often wine out of the box (goon it’s called) because it’s the cheapest often. I miss my 50 cent beers in China.

(13) Sightseeing in Europe usually consists of walking the old town streets, visiting museums, and going to pubs. China consists of walking the city streets, visiting gardens shrines and pagodas and trying amazing food. Australia often involves going to the beach and hiking if you are outside the big cities.

My apologies for sounding a bit negative in this post towards Australian backpacking. Despite the difficulties I find this country to be so beautiful and worth the differences I mentioned above. The next time you see a cloth grocery bag think of all us backpackers down under trying to get by.

Tags: australia

Comments

1

Sounds like your having a case of the blues, missing the Asia life. I'm in Thailand at the moment but still miss China, it seemed to have everything you need.

  Al Jan 25, 2011 6:04 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.