Existing Member?

Goodbye New Jersey. Hello World! A record of my journey as I give up my job, my possessions, and life as I know it to go off and see the world!

Observations of Aboriginals

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 9 November 2010 | Views [2156] | Comments [5]

I decided that my last meal in Darwin was going to be fish and chips. I hadn’t had any in awhile and I was craving it (and the price was right too!) I went to an outdoor take away place where they served me 3 massive pieces of mackerel on heaps of fries. As I was about to start my meal at a table outside an aboriginal woman approached me. She said “hello sister” and held out her hand to me. I was a little confused. Did she want to shake? Did she want money? I looked up at her with a look on my face and replied “hello?” “Two dollars change?” She asked. I said sorry, I didn’t have it, which was the truth. She looked at my food and said “That’s some nice fish you got there”. My defenses started to go up and I was unsure why. Then she looked into my eyes and said “Can I have a piece?” My first response inside was hell no, I paid for this and it is mine! I had been waiting all day for this meal. I should have been more charitable but there was something about her tone that really bothered me. Like she expected some food. Like she was entitled to it. After I shook my head she reached out a finger and attempted to take some of my french fries! Instinctively I pulled my plate away and that’s when she left.

I don’t know how I feel about the Aboriginal people here. They didn’t bother me on my outback tour. You would see them sitting in large circles under trees or perhaps walking on the road, but we didn’t interact with them. In Darwin there are many. They lounge around in public places in the shade. Some sit on the sidewalks and beg for money. You’ll see them in any park or riding on any bus. And they make me feel uncomfortable. And this bothers me. Sometimes they will talk to me in their language and wait for a response…I have no idea what to say.

The worst was today when I went to visit Darwin’s botanical gardens. There were quite a few Aboriginals there. In one spot there was a woman sitting on the sidewalk wailing and crying. I felt really badly for her but at the same time scared. The park was empty except for me and the Aboriginal people and as I passed I was often stared at. I left the park shortly after I entered because I just didn’t feel right. I almost felt like I was invading on their privacy.

I hate that I feel uncomfortable. I should have given that woman some of my fish and chips. I feel like perhaps if I knew more about them and their situation I might be more at ease. I wonder what the people of Darwin think about them lounging around and begging in the parks and on the road. But part of me also wonders how desperate that woman really was for my food. I’ve also heard stories about heavy alcohol consumption among the people and I can’t help but think about the alcoholism amongst the Native Americans back home. And how do the Aboriginal people think? How do they feel about their history with the Australian people? How do they feel about how society treats them?

Aboriginals and Australia are expected to go together. When you travel here you see their art (which is beautiful by the way), hear their didgeridoos, read their stores in museums. I haven’t been to the real touristy places like Sydney and Melbourne yet but I am assuming that their tons of that stuff in the souvenir shops. That’s all fine and good but it’s quite a contrast to the people I see on the street.

Next time I will share my fish.

Tags: aboriginals, australia, darwin

Comments

1

We call them "chips" love, not "french fries. Other than this minor innaccuracy this is a well written piece. Thank you for sharing your life with me. Where are you now?

  Jonathon Nov 9, 2010 6:26 AM

2

I am enjoying your reading but I do wish you would stop using the word 'touristy'. It's so hackneyed and the supposed difference between 'travellers's and 'tourists' is so tedious and judgemental. Just go where you go, and enjoy it, and don't judge it for being 'touristy'. It is OK to see things other people have seen you know.

  Moi Nov 22, 2010 3:08 PM

3

Okay I will try not to use the word so much - thanks for the tip

  Lauren Nov 23, 2010 9:00 AM

4

No Australian should ever be desperate for food, especially not an Aboriginal person. We have a lot more welfare schemes and 100% certain that lady would be on the dole getting government payments. There are also special schemes and scholarships for university education and many other things.
You shouldn't have to share your food with them because they are well provided for with Centrelink payments.

  Paige Jun 12, 2012 9:15 PM

5

Sounds like the classic "chip on the shoulder" situation. After 200 years, the aboriginal peoples still blame "Australia" for their shortcomings.

There is plenty of assistance available for aboriginals, for food, shelter, education. In fact it is easier for them to get into university than it would be for me as they keep spots aside. This is almost leading them to a sense of entitlement which is preposterous. Hence the reaching for your fish and chips. Disgraceful.

The observation I've had over time (some married into my extended family) is that they experience profound lack in a mental way with life in general, and tend to blame others for their shortcomings instead of taking responsibility for themselves and changing this perpetuated culture of "poor me" fuelled by violence, alcohol and laziness. Their lack of manners, common sense and empathy for fellow Australians is truly astonishing.

Some have done well for themselves, but the vast majority enforce the stereotype to the wider community.

It's a chicken/egg situation... Does the stereotype lead to this behaviour or does the behaviour lead to the stereotype?

Only by their sheer will, will the aboriginal people change this perception.
A good start would be not taking other people's fish and chips.

Reminds me of a seagull.

  Sad but true. Jun 27, 2015 8:48 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.