Existing Member?

Goodbye New Jersey. Hello World! A record of my journey as I give up my job, my possessions, and life as I know it to go off and see the world!

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow?

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 19 October 2010 | Views [1801] | Comments [2]

I used to complain a lot about the frustrations of meeting people while traveling and then having to say goodbye. It used to kill me inside - the act of putting in the effort to get to know someone only to have them leave as quickly as they came. I’ve written about it several times in my post and my closest friends and family can attest to my sad phone calls and emails as I moped about friends I have lost along the way.

I think I am finally getting over it. A few days ago I had to say goodbye to some people I traveled off and on for 40 days with, starting in St. Petersburg. Shout out to Dave, David, Johan, Emilie and Hanna. These people shared my birthday with me. I shared with them who I was, discussed my past and my future hopes and dreams with them. I learned a great deal about where they were from (Sweden, Canada, and Belgium) and I like to think I educated them on some Jersey culture. I was welcomed with the comforting thought that I would see them tomorrow when I went to sleep at night. I got to meet them in various places in China and running into them was like seeing an old friend.

Now we have parted ways. Will I ever see them again? I would like to think so but I really have no idea where the world is going to take them or me. Do I miss them? Absolutely - especially my friend Johan who basically became like my traveling “partner in crime” during the last week. The first day I spent without them felt odd - like something was missing. But am I feeling as I did back in the beginning of August? When I was pining for my Ireland/Scotland friends? No. I care for my new travel friends just as deeply as my old friends but I think I am finally starting to understand the role that they have in my traveling experience.

Instead of feeling sad, I now feel blessed. Everyone I have become close with in my travels have left an imprint on my heart. I have grown so much by learning about where they are from and what their personal lives are like. I have learned about so many different ways a person can live their life. I now have many people that still follow me now that we have parted ways. I have met and loved people from all over the world. While it can be painful at times, I am so happy that my heart is capable of such love. I feel fortunate that I have the opportunity to get to know on a deeper level people from all walks of life. Most of the people I know back in Jersey cannot say that they’ve befriended people from Sweden or Norway or China or Australia or other reaches of the world.

My personality has changed over the years because of these friendships. My heart is like a patchwork quilt, covered with the experiences shared with the amazing people that I have met. If you cracked my brain open you would find all sorts of bits and pieces of information gained from all over the world.

So I am not sad now. I am glad. I thank whatever greater power it is that’s out there and has granted me the gift to meet so many amazing people. I would like to acknowledge those travelers I have met either recently or a few years ago whom I feel has made an impact on my life. Dear Cathal, Joyce, Chantal, Amanda, Andrew, Simon, Stacey, Shane, Tammie, Melissa, Nick, Kiki, Fredrik, Hanna, Johan, Emilie, Dave, David, Kay, and Mitch - thank you for everything. (oh and I know I am probably forgetting some people - so sorry!) I hope that I was able to be as good a friend to you as you were to me.

Comments

1

Oh and also a shout out to Al, Alex and Kem - three backpackers who've followed my story along with their own. Thanks again for all your advice!

  lauren_watson Oct 19, 2010 4:37 PM

2

Sail on, silver girl. :) Things here are in the shitter, and everyone's stressed about it, and there you are... living this amazing life out there in the world. Envy doesn't even begin to cover it, but thanks for being an inspiration, and thanks for letting us live vicariously through you! xoxo

P.S. Reactivated my file to teach overseas for 2011-2012. :)

  Peg Oct 19, 2010 9:17 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.