Existing Member?

Goodbye New Jersey. Hello World! A record of my journey as I give up my job, my possessions, and life as I know it to go off and see the world!

"Fresh" Chinese Cuisine

CHINA | Saturday, 9 October 2010 | Views [4011] | Comments [4]

I do not think that I will be eating chicken again in China. Yesterday I was sitting alongside a river close to Yangshou, China, and I watched a lady kill a few. Okay, sounds like not a big deal, right? I mean, every chicken I have ever consumed has been killed in some fashion but let me tell you how she went about doing it She would grab a live one, slit its throat, let the blood drain into the river and then throw it onto the pavement close by. The chicken would flop around helplessly for a few seconds until a mangy dog would come and chew its vital organs to bits until it eventually stopped moving. The lady then would take the chicken back to the vier where she would clean it, wash it, and give it to the restaurant next nearby. I wish I could say the river was clean but you could clearly see tons of garbage on the bed. I understand completely that this is how things are done here but it was still quite the sight to see! I was incredibly fascinated the whole time as I watched, but I am also stating for the record that I am not eating chicken again until I arrive in Australia.

In the town there is also a food market where more animal deaths happen right before your eyes. There are tubs of water filled with live fish, toads, snakes, and other slippery slimy things. There are cages of chickens and goats and rabbits waiting for their soon death. Right before your eyes you can see the women kill them, clean them, gut them, and then hang them on a hook for sale. These weren’t the only animals that I saw here. I also saw dogs in cages also awaiting the same fate as their furry friends. Are you vegetarian? No problem, there is also an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies - no worries. Just close your eyes to the death and hacking and you can find lots to eat. By the way, is it so wrong that I found this whole area incredibly fun to watch? Being there was sort of like a car wreck - you don’t want to look but can’t help it.

The question really is whether it really more is humane in the “western world” or here? At home animals are put in tiny cages, forced to eat too much and live a sad life until a factory puts them down. Plus, I’m sure you’ve heard the stories of all the fecal matter getting in the meat because of the way the animals are butchered. Let’s not forget about all the growth hormones as well. At least here you can say that the food is fresh. Seeing this food market certainly makes me think about where my food has come from. Perhaps you will look at your next meal a little differently too!

Tags: china, food, yangshou

Comments

1

I can attest; Lauren's description of the gruesome chicken slaughter that took place right before our eyes (as well as the eyes of the restaurant patrons who were situated within spitting distance of the scene of the crime) was indeed accurate. I was situated beside Lauren, enjoying the lush scenery of the surrounding limestone mountains, enjoying a cold beer, and witnessed the merciless slaughter that repeated itself on at least two or three occasions. We couldn't tell if the dog was sadistic and enjoyed the thrill of the kill, was simply underfed and found the chicken inerds a deliciously wholesome snack, or was actually trained to put the chickens out of their misery... The strangest incident of them all was when the dog nipped at the throat of one chicken, who was still clinging to life after its' throat had been slit... Flapping its' wings at the dog in one final attempt to cling to life, the chicken jumped back two or three feet in the air to evade the lunging dog jaws... the chicken jumped back, doing a flip mid air, and landed in the river, where it presumably drowned... blood poured into the river for three or four minutes until the female butcher came looking for the carcass. She fished it out of the river (it was situated under the ledge of the dock, out of reach of the persistent yet frustrated dog) and began to clean it... Lauren and i took a big swig of warm beer, smiled at each other, and decided to continue on our bike ride into the unkown abyss of life in rural china.
PS: Lauren, if you get an opportunity, could you email me some of the photos we snapped on your camera as well as some of Steven's photos from the rooftop bar. Thx so much!! Peace and Love!! http://thequestfordrewth.wordpress.com

  Drew Oct 11, 2010 2:51 PM

2

Yeah baby Yangshou! South west China is awesome ain't it? It's how i expected china to look when I got there. Have you accidentlt eaten strange organs yet due to a communication malfunction?

Try to get towards Shangri-La if you can (it's Tibet with being in Tibet).

Keep exploring!
x

  Kem Oct 11, 2010 5:14 PM

3

Yesterday my friends and I watched some Chinese guys gut and clean a dead dog in the river right next to us as we ate our lunch. Yummy!

  lauren_watson Oct 11, 2010 7:24 PM

4

Oh. my. GOD. I am now a vegetarian.

  Rachel Oct 13, 2010 12:38 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.