Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 117 - An excuse to go to the Aquarium

SPAIN | Monday, 14 May 2007 | Views [1065]

What to do on a rainy day in Barcelona? Parks... no. Museums... closed on Mondays. Walking the city... don´t have umbrella.....

I had been secretly looking for an excuse as to why I could visit the Barcelona Aquarium, after reading rave reviews on the displays on the internet, and today I found my perfect reason. The rain forced me to do something indoors, close to my hostel.... perfect! I went to the aquarium with school kiddies and young families to enjoy the underwater delights!

I saw displays from the Mediterannean tanks, Tropical tanks, and other displayes from all over the world. I have to admit that I felt a pang of pride when I saw the display from the Great Barrier Reef, Australia!  

The highlight was definitely the Oceanarium - the only one of its kind in Europe, is the largest tank and the one with the greatest number of species in L’Aquàrium de Barcelona. With a diameter of 36 metres and 5 metres in depth, it contains 4,500 m3 of water. Such species as giltheads, morays, ocean sunfish, rays and two kinds of sharks: the sand tiger shark (Carcharias taurus) and the sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus) are found in the tank and you can just spend hours watching the fish swim by.

Im so glad it rained today!

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.