Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 90 - La Bombilla and Cuia

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 17 April 2007 | Views [4029] | Comments [1]

In general, South American people are passionate. More specifically, they are passionate about all things local to them. Even more specifically, they love futebol (no surprises there), good food, music and good beer & wine amongst many other things. In Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina and here in the south of Brasil the locals go just as crazy for mate (prounced mah-tay). Its a way of drinking tea leaf (called Yerba in Spanish or Erva in Portuguese) and its not just popular - its an obsession.

During my first visit here (in Chile) I experienced my first mate. The first step is to heat up the water and get out the mate cup (called cuia) and bombilla. The mate cup is usually pear shaped and made from wood, calabasa (a small gourd), alpaca (silver and other metals), cow horn or porcelain covered steel.

The bombilla (bomba) is a stainless steel straw with a rounded filter on the bottom end and a gold tip on the top, and is used to sip the mate. The gold tip prevents the straw from becoming too hot for the lips. The filter keeps the herb from coming through the straw. 

Next step is you fill the cup about half full with yerba/erva mate leaves, insert the bombilla, and pour in the hot (not boiled) water. It is polite to drink the first cup to ensure your guests don't ingest any of the small particles that may seep through the filter with the first cup. Then you refill the cup and pass it on to the next person. It is proper to drink the whole cup and pass it back to the owner of the cup, who refills it with water and passes it on. The ritual continues in this way around the circle to all people who are with you!

My first few tries were not that successful, as the mate has quite an acquired taste, but I continued/persevered and found that I enjoy the Brazilian blend much more. 

And even though I didnt really like mate until recently, after drinking a few rounds of mate I quickly understood how it became the national drink of many countries here in South America and why mate time is such a treasured tradition among these people. The feeling from the strong dose of mate is quite awesome. It's clearing, relaxing and energizing all at the same time; the aroma is entrancing.

The social aspect is reminiscent of any native people sharing the peace pipe around the fire. Whether at the beach, on the road, on a camping trip, in a hostel, at work or at home, when it is 'mate time' everything else can wait. Sharing mate strengthens friendships everyday here.

So, to celebrate 3 months travelling in South America, today I purchased (with the help of my 2 lovely friends Luciano & Caina) - my first cuia (mate cup), bombilla (straw) and pack of mate erva (herb). I am currently preparing the cup (by leaving mate and hot water in for 10 hours) before drinking some tonight. I love that you can pack as much herb as you like in the cup and enjoy many strong doses by refilling the cup over and over.  I also love nothing more than sitting around in the early to late afternoon, sipping mate and shooting the breeze in english, spanish or portuguese!

Yours with mate in hand,

Lani 'i´m more Brazilian than Australian' Shepherd

My new favourite drink - mate

My new favourite drink - mate

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

awwe mate
i wish i was there with you
smiling all the way from australia missing you

megsie

  meg Apr 19, 2007 3:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.