Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Days 56 & 57 - Raining in Quito

ECUADOR | Thursday, 15 March 2007 | Views [24414]

So of course, after returning from Galápagos I have a great tan and an expanded sense of adventure. I made the long trip (bus, ferry, bus, plane, taxi) from Baltra in Galápagos back to mainland Ecuador ready to explore on 14/3. As the plane touched down, I noticed sparks of lightning from the corner of my eye and since I arrived in Quito, it has not stopped raining.

Its not a bad thing actually, as the last 2 days have given me the opportunity to catch up on a variety of things such as updating my diary, getting photos burnt to cd, shopping for refills on neccessities, internet catchup and revising my backpack contents for the upcoming leg of travel in Brazil.

I have also enjoyed long stretches of coffee drinking and reading by candlelight in dimly lit cafes that play a mish mash of 1980`s balads and latino love songs.

Another highlight has been 2 wonderful breakfasts at the iconic "Magic Bean Cafe" here in the new town area of Quito. Their coffee is excellent and their omlettes and fresh juices are just as good!

I also met up with a fellow Aussie gal (my friend Linda from Chile) last night to enjoy 2 for 1 cocktails and chatting rapidly in English (which is a rare delight as I have adopted a slow, deliberate style of speaking English now to ensure that my Spanisg speaking amigos can understand what I say).  Its amazing to just use full on Aussie slang with someone who can understand you... a rare delight these days!!!

So, in spite of my tan fading and having to dig out the thermals for a few days, I have really enjoyed stepping back in Quito after the Galápagos adventure. For the weekend, me and Linda are travelling over an hour to nearby Otavalo, which hosts the largest markets in South America each Saturday for 8 hours. There are also natural hot springs near to the town of Otavalo, so we might try and get there as well.

All thats left to do is check the savings account for how much I can spend at the markets.....

Until next time

Besos xoxoxoxox

The rainy view from Crossroads hostel - Quito

The rainy view from Crossroads hostel - Quito

Tags: Relaxation

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.