Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Days 22 & 23 - On the road again

ARGENTINA | Friday, 9 February 2007 | Views [1059] | Comments [1]

Hi everyone

I have an odd feeling sitting in this internet cafe in Mendoza. After spending 28 of the last 34 hours riding on buses to get from Iguazu to Mendoza, it feels strange to not be moving in a bus & watching the crappy movies they play over & over!

The last few days were spent on the finest roads in Argentina, travelling first from Iguazu to Cordoba (18 hours) then a brief pit-stop before hitting another bus from Cordoba to Mendoza (11 hours). I arrived late last night to a wonderful hostel - Hostel Lao - where I am staying for the next week or so in order to complete my Spanish course and also sample some of the local produce. Mendoza is the largest wine production area in Argentina. Pity they dont also make chocolate, but you cant have everything!

Anyway, I always try to see the silver lining so here goes. Best parts about 29 hours on a bus travelling inland Argentina -

 - Practicing my spanglish with a wannabe soccer superstar from Buenos Aires. I think he understood that it was my sisters who are soccer stars back home and not me, but you can never be sure....

 - Seeing 2 of the most amazing sunsets behind the Andes I have ever seen in my life. Red sky, orange sun, perfecto!

 - My iPod lasting out the whole way. It was a lifesaver as they have a thing for playing crappy Wesley Snipes movies here - one word - WHY?

 - Time to catch up on writing postcards, reading the guidebook and just thinking about how great this adventure has been so far.

The not so good things about 29 hours on buses -

 - The toilet. You will only know how bad it is if you have lived it so I wont try and describe it.

 - No food. Living on ovaltinies and water but its ok. We stopped a few times and i ran out quickly, but one time i ended up with fizzy water that tasted like papaya so it was risky.

 - Freezing cold air conditioning. I have pioneered a new way to keep your feet warm though. Who knew a backpack also doubled as a nifty pair of socks???

In any case, im here in Mendoza safe & sound and i dont have to catch a bus for at least a week so im happy. The streets are leafy and wide, and the town is a great place to chill out and relax after the excitement of Iguazu.

Ciao

Lani

The best road transportation money can buy.

The best road transportation money can buy.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hola to u Lanz
You r my beautiful wonderful comedienne..your tales make us laugh till we cry. I can see u are having the time of your life. Keep on travelling and inventing new ideas for us to patent. miss u so much mama xoxo

  Mama Feb 15, 2007 12:51 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.