Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 1 - Santiago

CHILE | Wednesday, 17 January 2007 | Views [1009] | Comments [1]

Hi everyone

Well - we've now had a bit of time to settle down & found a way to access the 3 essentials - money (Chilean pesos), bottled water & food. We are still working on getting a calling card / mobile phone solution sorted out, but until then we are surrounding ourselves with kick-ass internet access so that should compensate!

My first impression of Chile is that it's very strange - in a good way though! We landed at the airport and then spent 2 hours walking between queue's to pay entry tax, get the stamp and then through customs. Everyone was very helpful but also very much in spanish so it was a MASSIVE reality check for Ang & I that we need to get the spanish lessons pronto!

We followed the harrowing airport experience with a taxi ride to Santiago central, with a lovely view of the Andes on each side - spectacular!

Our hostel is fab - http://www.hostalsammy.com/ there are puppies everywhere and a charming back courtyard.

Angie and i are sharing a room with an Israeli guy & an Aussie from Cairns who came in today - we have adjusted into the backpacker life very quickly! Tonight we hope to catch up on some sleep, have some nice wine & relax.

This afternoon, after (prematurely) thinking the only ATM nearby wouldn't give us cash, and no-one accepts $US Ang & i nearly had a heart attack - what are we doing here - broke, thirsty & hungry.....

We dug deep, asked around and discovered the local Economax (just like Woolies) supermarket is just up the road, and so we walked down, withdrew some pesos, bought loads of water, great cheese (they even have Bega here??), chilean bread & (most importantly) a few bottles of local Santiago wine. So i guess thats what we will do tonight...

We have figured out a few day trips for the next week, but are debating whether to go too far afield as there is so much to see here around Santiago. I'm sure whatever we decide to do it will be an adventure!

Love to everyone & keep connected to the www for more email updates.

Lani

Tags: Airports

Comments

1

Dear lanz Glad to see u arriverd safely and found your hostel and settled in. It sounds so lovely! What a culture shock not being able to buy the 3 essentials... but i knew u would rally round and solve the problem. Great u have met some nice people and it wont take u long to settle into Chilean life. Till next time Mama and the Kels and the lil buggers xoxoxoxox

  mama de sammy Jan 25, 2007 8:44 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.