Existing Member?

Europe 2017

La Baule or Paris West!

FRANCE | Tuesday, 29 August 2017 | Views [422] | Comments [2]

We've left Fouras for La Baule. We are staying in the apartment of friends who we rented from 12 years ago.Through the years we have stayed in touch and in fact we have become close friends. Many of you know that Rosy and I speak via Skype every Thursday afternoon. It's her patience that has allowed my French to progress!
 
La Baule is uniquely situated relatively close to Paris. Train service is quick and efficient and its beach is very large, long and wide. Therefore for well over a century it has been "the place" for Parisians to have a second home. Of course some prefer the long trek to the south, but the more discerning, prefer the cooler weather and the shorter trip!
 
Like any upscale place, there are beautiful homes landscaped to perfection, elegant shops with matching prices and very fancy restaurants. Another sure give away is the number of tennis clubs. There are 4 private ones with over 60 courts in a relatively small town and they are all very busy with people playing or youngsters taking lessons. As we walk around town, Ed really misses not having played in such a long time!
And there are three private golf courses as well. Since there aren't that many golf courses in all of France, the fact that they have three, speaks volumes for the clientele they serve!
 

But aside from all this, it is just plain fun to wander around the streets looking at the lovely homes and the hodge-podge of architectural styles that exists. Just navigating the streets is a challenge for someone like me who lacks a sense of direction. When most of these homes were built, there was no grand plan in place. In fact I wonder if some were built the way they were, to save a tree or a stand of them! There are only a handful of streets that run straight. So, even though we are close to the beach, there are about eight different ways to get there.

Comments

1

I spent each summer of my youth in La Baule les Pins..
I loved it. It was not so fashionable then. So close to St Nazaire which had been bombed to ashes.

  francoise Aug 29, 2017 3:57 AM

2

I spent each summer of my youth in La Baule les Pins..
I loved it. It was not so fashionable then. So close to St Nazaire which had been bombed to ashes.

  francoise Aug 29, 2017 3:57 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.