Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Wonderful, wonderful, Copenhagen

DENMARK | Friday, 2 September 2016 | Views [304] | Comments [2]

We arrived at 9:30 this morning and began our day by walking over to the Little Mermaid, from our ship, to say hello. The tourist buses had begun to arrive and it was quite crowded. Since we had another beautiful day, we decided to walk the 2 plus miles into the heart of town. We walked past the royal palace over to the Rosenborg Castle. The crown jewels are kept there in vaults in the basement. The park, which is part of the palace grounds, is very extensive. It includes a lake and beautiful manicured gardens. Many people were taking advantage of the weather and playing croquet, picnicking and playing some kind of team tag that we watched with curiosity (but couldn't quite figure out the rules. In the heart of the city, there is also major construction. The main street is being dug up and part of the Opera house is getting a face-lift.

Early this morning we sailed past Kronborg Castle. At the time I didn't know what I was looking at, I just thought it was beautifully majestic. It turns out that it is the castle that inspired Shakespeare's “Elsinore” in “Hamlet” .

Tomorrow we are at sea heading back to Amsterdam. It's been a super cruise and we have met some terrific people. We feel very lucky to have had such great experiences.

We fly back to D.C. On the third.

Hope you have all enjoyed the blog; it has been fun!

 

 

Comments

1

What a wonderful trip. It has been my pleasure to follow you. Safe trip home.

  Beverly Sep 3, 2016 7:40 AM

2

I am going to miss reading your entries!
Please let us know if your travels take you through Ft Lauderdale.
You're always welcome
Kimberly

  kimberly Sep 15, 2016 11:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.