Existing Member?

Europe 2017

The Van Gogh Museum and Special Exhibit

NETHERLANDS | Wednesday, 17 August 2016 | Views [286]

Interestingly enough, the dream for the museum was brought to fruition by Van Gogh's nephew, Vincent (who was named after his famous uncle by Van Gogh's brother, Theo.) The museum is an amazing tribute to Van Gogh. His works are beautifully displayed through three floors. We spent over three hours exploring the breadth and scope of his paintings. His brother Theo, kept just about everything, including the 100's of letters that Vincent wrote to him. After they both died (within a short time of each other, it was Theo's wife who inherited all of Vincent's paintings and she began to draw attention to his work. Her son, Vincent, continued the process after her death. And this culminated with the opening of the Vincent Van Gogh Museum in 1973.

Currently, the fourth floor is home to a special exhibit, “On the Verge of Insanity”. It explores the last years of his life when he began to suffer and was hospitalized in Arles and San Remy, France. And then his last months in Auvers sur Oise are examined – there is even a pistol similar to the one that he used to kill himself. Of course I had to ask about the “new” theory that he was shot by one of two teenagers from the area. The guide was very polite and explained that the official position of the museum was that he did indeed end his own life. But, he added that the research that has been done to dispel this position, was compelling.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.