Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Making Dutch Wooden Shoes

NETHERLANDS | Tuesday, 16 August 2016 | Views [343] | Comments [1]

This was a really neat experience! A machine ( made in France) can make a pair of wooden shoes in 5 minutes and the gentleman demonstrated how it's done. He began with a hunk of wet poplar wood. With a very sharp knife, that looked more like a sword, he got it down to the size he wanted. He then placed it in the machine, next to the model or prototype and the machine traces this model and cuts it to the same size. Then the new “shoe” is moved to another machine and the process is repeated, this time, with the inside of the clog being cut out. And voila! In slightly less than 5 minutes, he had created a new clog. Interestingly, he took the clog and blew into it and quite a great deal of water shot out of it! The clog has to dry out for 2-3 months!

These clogs are waterproof, supposedly very comfortable, and they wear like iron. According to the craftsman, they should be warn with thick socks, and when choosing your size, you should be able to place two fingers at the back of the shoe. I've never seen so many different colors and styles!

See Photo Gallery for the shoe making process.

Comments

1

I remember buying a pair for my kids when they were little and they had found them to be rather uncomfortable. Last year when we were there i bought a pair of slippers in the shape of "sabots" and Eitan really enjoyed it.

  Irene Skolnick Aug 17, 2016 5:32 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.